Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

Default Teaching to stop barking

One of my dogs barks at everything and nothing at all around the house. She drives me crazy barking out the window when there isn't even anything there. She'll wander around the house barking for no reason at all. Sometimes she'll actually see something outside (like some person walking down the street across the street, or a car pulling into a neighbor's driveway) but she doesn't need to bark at those things imo. And if someone actually knocks on our door, ugh.. She acts like they are there to kill her.

I've heard the best way to do this is to teach the dog to bark on cue, then teaching a quiet command to get them to stop. But how do you teach them to bark on cue? Do I just wait til she starts barking and keep repeating a command to her and hope she makes the connection?

I should probably add in that she is about 6 and a half years old now. We used to live in a much smaller place so her wandering around barking wasn't really an issue because she was typically always in the same room as we were. If she started having a barking fit we'd just make her sit right by us to keep her calm, but that isn't really practical anymore. We are hoping to have kids sooner rather than later so I'd like to get this resolved without resorting to something like a shock collar so I want to start working on it now before there are any kids in the picture.

I am considering a trainer, but would like to see if I can resolve this at home before hiring someone.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
RedyreRottweilers

MARK the behavior when it is happening. Thing of what you want to call it, and each time she does it, give it a name, and praise and treat.

Make SURE you mark it WHEN the bark is happening.

Then begin marking quiet as well. If she is barking a lot around the house, you don't have to find a way to elicit it, just mark it when she is doing it. Same with quiet.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Do I just wait til she starts barking and keep repeating a command to her and hope she makes the connection?
You can usually get a dog to bark by having someone knock on the door, although with how often she barks, you might not need to do that.

Is she getting enough mental and physical stimulation?

Here's an article I wrote about barking.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team