Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Default Outside cats?

Anyone here also have some outside cats? I have three. Two were already here when I moved in (my husband's). One is outside 23/24 (the one hour inside is an average of the few times she actually sleeps in in winter), the other is old and spends most of his time sleeping inside, but goes sleep on the porch when it's nice out.

The last one is my girl, she lived with me in an apartment for a year before I moved here three years ago. As there is a cat door and the other cats are outside cats, I didn't have much choice but to let her go out, too. I can say she's been really happy, bringing countless rodents and birds in the house...

My problem is that I just can't stop worrying. That, and I'm really sad because in summer I just don't see her anymore. I took her to the vet on Tuesday for her shots, and I haven't seen her since. The food bowl got mostly emptied during the night though so I guess she came when I was sleeping, but it's so frustrating! I can't help worrying that someone stole her (even though she runs away as soon as she sees people), or she got lost, or got killed by a car... It's been this way ever since I moved in here. It's so bad that I love cats, but I don't think I ever want another outside cat, because I'm just worrying all the time and I don't even spend much time with them anyway.

It really makes me sad. I'm in a dead end now, the other two probably only have a couple years left to live, but it's too late now to let my kitty stay inside. The house is small, and when I left her inside all day on Tuesday to make sure I could take her to the vet, she complained all day and even peed on the pillows - and she had never had an accident before. I really want another cat one day, but I can't see how it will work with an outdoor cat and the dogs (I often keep the back door open during the day etc).

How do you do with your cats?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

i have a outside / inside cat...outside a quarter of the time inside 3/4 ths of the time. very somber and just comes and goes with a open and close of a door
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

i used to have an indoor cat, then she started being an outdoor cat. she got out, and came back out and back...and one day, she never came back. i believe she died, because cats usually always come back. hope she will come back in your case. after him, i hated cats....never wanted any, because i was so hurt...now i got the kitten.lol i had another cat before "snow" (outdoor cat) and she got ran over my a car...and i was watching, and couldnt do anything about it. i really hope he is just too lazy to come home in your case. keep us updated
Old 08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

I still haven't seen her. But again we went out last night for an hour, and she might have come during the night. I'm still worried sick, going to go check if she didn't end up at the SPCA today...
Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Show Dog

I have an outside Cat. He's always outside, but comes when I call him. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Mine used to go missing for days and days, but still came back. Now he is basically always lurking around my back garden waiting for me to feed him and scratch him.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

She wasn't at the SPCA either. I guess i just have to wait.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

she may be around when ure not looking, or not home...just make sure u keep fresh water and food outside...which i know u already know :P
Old 08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Actually I don't put food outside, but we have a kitty door. With the 10ish cats that wander around, I'm not sure the food would go to the right ones, lol.

But still nothing. I know she may come in to eat when I am sleeping or away, but it's still worrying
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

how about borrowing a "humane" cat trap from the spca...once she gets thru the door she will get in the cage, and BAM!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

Well we put about 4-5 flyers yesterday, and she came back at 11pm! She must have been feeling bad too because she spent the night with us, which she usually doesn't do in summer...