Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Aroooooo!

Default Wolf at the dog park?

I know everyone here says if you think you own a wolf you probably dont. And I usually see husky in all those dogs too. But I was at the DP last night and I could not stop looking at this dog.

He is very strange too. He doesnt play with the other dogs, just lays by his owner. His owner said he always looks up and howls at the moon like a coyote. They found him as a stray out by the desert (I live in Arizona) so a big part of me wants to believe this dog actually may have wolf in it. Also, the owners friend was there with his golden and this guy would just keep putting its jaw around the goldens neck, that is the only way he would play.

Regardless of what he is, he is very unique looking.

But if he is a wolf he does not belong at the DP

See how long and pointy his face is?

What do you guys think?

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Taxiderpy

There aren't very many wolves in arizona, and since they live in packs it would be weird to find one by itself. There were some litters of coyote dog hybrids pulled from the tohono o'odham res when we lived in Tucson, but they were tiny and the coyotes around there are tiny and look nothing like that dog. Did he say how old it was when they found him?

Anyway, he looks kind of wolfy. But then he might just be a husky or mal mix. I don't think he has any shepherd. He might be a wolf or wolf hybrid that somebody dumped out in the desert when they realized wolf hybrid + home = house that doesn't look like one from a magazine

Don't know why someone would bother bringing a dog to a dog park if it didn't like to play with other dogs.

Though he does look a lot like a mex grey wolf...weird.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

He really does look like a wolf... that's weird.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Just try me..

That 'dog' looks JUST like the wolves we have here. The wolves we have here have a significant portion of dog in them (say 5% or more)

There are some morpholgical differences in wolves.. the ones that hunt large game tend to be larger and bulkier.. the ones that live in pairs and live mainly on small animals and scavanging tend to be lankier (not a weight related thing.. its genetic. I friend of mine is studying wolf DNA and types for her masters)

the wolf/dog you posted could fit in this line up of pics no problem.

This IS a case where a DNA test could tell you useful information. My money would be on almost full wolf.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

Must admit he's a handsome fellow !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

If they were to find that he was full wolf, would the owner be able to keep him?

Wolf hybrid I'm not sure, my mom had one..but that was also in alaska.

He is beautiful!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

I think if the animal is well-behaved then the woman should go on telling people he's just a dog regardless, for risk of getting him taken away.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I doubt a wolf would act like that at a dog park...and if he's not bothering the other dogs, then I wouldn't care what he was.

He does look VERY wolflike, though. By a fluke some mixes can look wolflike, but aside from his behavior, I'd think he was a wolf.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Just try me..

I do know of a couple of real wolf/dog crosses both were ok with dogs. Wolves tend not to fight with dogs unless desperate. Its usually dogs who have issues with wolves.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

hmm idk that much about wolf crosses. I was under the impression most of the time they were very reactive, even aggressive, towards dogs they don't know well.

I remember a story about someone who had a wolf hybrid and when she walked her, she wore a harness and the dog worn a harness, and they were strapped to each other, because if she saw another dog in the distance she'd pull so hard...

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com