Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Fishies!

Normal Innova is over $50/ bag now. Canidae is over $40. I'd say neither are worth that price. Even DN Chicken and rice is $36/ 40lbs now. The lamb was cheaper (but had lower fat, which would increase itchyness here) by $4. Lamb? Cheaper than chicken?

I can see a difference between Evo and Diamond Naturals,(the chicken and rice soup smelling poop) but at over twice the price, even accounting for feeding amounts... Evo with its 28lb bag is only 1 more bag per year, but it is THAT much more expensive.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 AM
overdogged

you want expensive try hill's prescription z/d ultra at $91 and change for a 27.5# bag. i am freaking EMBARRASSED to sell that stuff at work. and i tell clients that. and i tell them to call the company and speak their minds. and i tell the rep but he just squirms and hems and tries to tell me how $2.77/day really isn't that much if we're talking about the health of a pet.

they really should put somebody else in charge of the food stuff at work. somebody who actually believes in this product and this company. because it isn't me.

(i really have no idea how much i pay for dog food. whatever Nature's Variety Prairie is costing these days.)
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:42 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I had my guys on EVO, until it went up to $85 for a large bag! Umm, no.

And I agree about Z/D, it's in the 90 dollar range here too.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
I had my guys on EVO, until it went up to $85 for a large bag! Umm, no.

And I agree about Z/D, it's in the 90 dollar range here too.
I'm getting it (RM!) for $50 a bag . . . you're getting gouged. Seriously.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

I buy California Natural Herring and Sweet Potatoe 15 lbs bag and it costs me about $35 with tax. Usually lasts me a month.

I work at a pet food store and most dog food right now is and or has takin or will be taking a price jump. One of the foods we sell that is on the lower end is going up $20 on a 30lbs bag.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I'm getting it (RM!) for $50 a bag . . . you're getting gouged. Seriously.
That was one of my main points with starting this thread. I see such a wide range in the prices of the same exact foods that it baffles me.

When I saw how much Merrick cost on the website in comparison to how much I can buy it for, why, there was a $30+ difference in the price!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
BigDogs

eek! Gee willikers, I enjoy upperscale restaurants, but I certainly couldn't afford to eat there very often. I love my dogs but I have to be able to afford to feed them!

A 50 lb bag doesn't last long here. I had been feeding Native 40 lb bags, which cost about 28 dollars, but the cost recently increased to $33. I've "downgraded" to TSC Retriever hi pro 50 lb bags at about $20 per bag.
(and today two of the dogs got some raw rabbit meat.)
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Did anyone notice an increase in the price for Royal Canin food in your area? It is now over $60 for 35 lbs. (MAXI Boxer 26) at my local Pet Depot. The lady that works there says that they increased the prices by $10 of all dry foods of similar bag size. When I went to PetsMart.com, it is still around $50. I don't know whether her store is the only one with the price increase, or Royal Canin increased their prices?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
DILLIGAF?

I feed Brenna Diamond Brand- Lamb and Rice formula. It's about $30 for a 40lb bag, but I normally only buy the smaller ones($10) in the summertime and the 40lb size in the winter time.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

I've had mine on Timberwolf for many years and then I had a customer service issue that didn't get resolved as well as it should. I jumped around for a while...with Canidae, Chicken Soup, Meriick, etc...but the prices kept going up it seemed. Timberwolf had gone up as well.

Recently, I switched to Nutri Source...and I am pretty happy with the Adult Chicken and Rice. My dogs really love it...it's been rated okay I think and a 33 or was it 35 pound bag was 34.99. I had been paying at least 50 for Timberwolf.

I was wary when it first came out because, well they make Tuffys, but they are in MN and have their own plant and I like the idea of being made local. I still like to rotate things in and out, but gonna stick with Nutrisource for a while. It might not be first first choice, but with every thing being tight, it kind of works right now.