Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Felurian

I keep thinking about this - among a lot of other things - and what I keep coming back to is yes, the cost of dog food is absurd.

But not what you're thinking.

It's absurd for a bag of sh1t that is nothing more than waste that big food processing corporations and slaughterhouses used to have to discard because it was diseased or so far rotted that it couldn't be used, turned into a high profit item to even have a price. Most of what's in there is garbage they once had to PAY to dispose of - now it's in a slick package, sold with catchy jingles and empty promises and people PAY to take it home and run it through their dogs to dispose of it. A bag of - literally - sh1t that has about the same actual nutritional value of a scoop from the septic tank, plus all the chemical laced additives and byproducts and general poisons inherent in the waste products used in the manufacture. Stuff that probably should be handled as toxic waste in a landfill.

So, is the price of dog food ridiculous? Damnstraight!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 01-26-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
BusterLove

Buster doewsn't get too much dry, but I'm just starting him on Artemis. Which is about $27 for 1.8kg

Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

I think that there is some difference between cheaper and more expensive dog food, but I do not believe that all of that "premium dog food" is worth the price they charge for it. I fed my dog Blue Wilderness for a short while and gradually tried to switch him to it, and he just got a very bad diarrhea from it. So for some dogs, "premium food" will not work. I know that premium food has more meat and no by-products, but you can also get cheaper food that has no by-products, as well. Some of the brands are just overhyped to find a reason to increase the price. It is like bottled water. Do we really have to drink Evian or Fiji to be healthy and pay $5/bottle? Water is just water, and any filtered water will be fine for your health. These brands were made for people who really take pride in having anything that the majority of others cannot afford.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

While I agree that some brands, no matter how good, just aren't going to work well for some dogs, this:

Quote:
These brands were made for people who really take pride in having anything that the majority of others cannot afford.
Or people who take pride in knowing that they are doing everything they can to help their dogs stay at the peak of health for as long a life as possible. Not only do I not want by-products, I don't want un-identified meats, I want little-to-no grain products, I want high protein. I live in clothes that are cheap and wear them to the point of being basically rags (my jeans right now would probably be illegal if I wasn't wearing long underwear under them all the time), I rarely go out, I don't spend much on any sort of entertainment... but my dog will be on a top-quality food that she does well on for as long as I can squeak the money out of my account. And she looks darn good for it! The difference between her on even Innova (great quality but with grains) to Orijen is visible to everyone who sees her. She is a block of lean muscle, and absolutely glows.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Well we feed the crew a product called Aspen it is made in town the meat comes from local farms. The dogs all look great are all healthy. A few get different tho. DaVinci gets rice and chicken liver/heart mixed with all of his meds for hip dyplasia and his eyes in it. Vendetta is on Nutri-Source pure-vita. My sisters flyball dog gets Dick Pattens rolled meat. The Aspen is 40# for 17.99. It went up too it was 14.99 about three month ago. For a treat I buy my goats purina dog chow. they like it and it keeps them close.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Taxiderpy

We pay $43 for a 35 lb. bag of TOTW. Strider does all right on kirkland, but he really does much better with red meat. His muscle tone is better, and he bulks up better. I think one of the reasons satin balls work so well for him is the raw hamburger component.

He weighs 70 lbs, and the bag of food usually lasts 7-8 weeks. That's with raw and home cooked added. He gets potatoes, rice, noodles, oatmeal, and raw meats. We'll sometimes jazz it up with some of the cheapy parmesan cheese too.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh, it's *you*

We feed Diamond Naturals L&R I get a 40lbs (read that? FORTY...not 30 or 35 the old "charge the same and make the bag smaller and smaller scam) of the dry and a 24c case of the cans for around $60.

Just the bag...$28...just the cans...$24 or something like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
We feed Diamond Naturals L&R I get a 40lbs (read that? FORTY...not 30 or 35 the old "charge the same and make the bag smaller and smaller scam) of the dry and a 24c case of the cans for around $60.

Just the bag...$28...just the cans...$24 or something like that.
LOL, yeah I'm really loving DN. It's cheap, big bag, and GOOD quality!

The price of some dog foods is absurd. And. I'm talking about good qaulity food.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I keep thinking about this - among a lot of other things - and what I keep coming back to is yes, the cost of dog food is absurd.

But not what you're thinking.

It's absurd for a bag of sh1t that is nothing more than waste that big food processing corporations and slaughterhouses used to have to discard because it was diseased or so far rotted that it couldn't be used, turned into a high profit item to even have a price. Most of what's in there is garbage they once had to PAY to dispose of - now it's in a slick package, sold with catchy jingles and empty promises and people PAY to take it home and run it through their dogs to dispose of it. A bag of - literally - sh1t that has about the same actual nutritional value of a scoop from the septic tank, plus all the chemical laced additives and byproducts and general poisons inherent in the waste products used in the manufacture. Stuff that probably should be handled as toxic waste in a landfill.

So, is the price of dog food ridiculous? Damnstraight!

preach it!

THe amount people pay for total junk blows my mind.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

I used to have to drive a half hour to get anything better than Nutro, and and hour to get anything better than Blue Buffalo.
Then I moved to Hippieville USA (also known as Asheville, NC) and suddenly I saw all these foods I had only heard about on Chaz. Radar lasts for 6 weeks on a small bag of food and Argon eats Raw which is cheaper still. Now if only I could convince Mom to switch Radar....