Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Active Pup

Default New member of the family

We just bought a bordercollie mixed with germen sheperd today. Very cute dog and first time we've had a pup in 14 years (we just put down our good friend max a month ago)

No name yet. He is 6 or 8 weeks old I keep for getting.

His first night away from his family he wakes up and crys then goes to sleep.

A few questions. When our last dog was a pup I was only 1 or 2 so this is new to me. I've got all summer to train him so this will keep me busy

* How long will he cry
* Should I pick him up when he crys?
* What are the best ways to train him to his bussnies outside
* Same goes with tricks how do you teach them
* How much food should he eat a day
* Is he to young to go for little walks
Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Are you dead yet?

First of all, congrats on the new addition! BC/GSD is going to be one smart, energetic puppy - be prepared for that!

He will cry until he realizes that he's wasting his time. Seriously. Some puppies never get tired of it. (Mine, for example.) DO NOT pick him up or pay attention to him when he's whining. That will just reinforce the behavior and make him more apt to cry when he wants attention. Instead, pay a ton of attention to him when he's quiet.
I consider crate training to be one of the most effective ways to housetrain a puppy because it gives the pup very little chance to mess up.
tricks, and this is jmo, I wouldn't worry about until the pup is older. I'd teach basic obedience stuff before I'd teach tricks. As for the best ways to teach them, puppies tend to be really food/toy motivated - use this to your advantage. I personally like clicker training but some people don't. (If you're interested in it, do a google search for 'clicker training' and you will get a ton of very informative sites.)
How much food you give him depends on the size of the pup and what kind of food you're feeding him.
I didn't take my pups for walks outside the yard until they were about 3 months old and had gotten their vaccinations, just as a safety precaution.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Top Dog

Pics, pics, pics !!! Welcome as well. I like your siggy rips-girl. I made this one. I dont like it...I might see if i can get a pro one made (Sorry to change the subject) I have a border collie and i have a german shepherd. lol. And you have a mix with both. Lots of work. But ohh are they GREAT dogs. Dont start trick training untill he/she is older. To teach basic commands just do a google search. everything pops up there. lol. Goodluck
Old 08-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Yer I Agree Pics Pics Pics Lol!1 Congrats Hunnie!! :d
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Show Dog

Since it's been so long why don't you go the library and check out a couple of books about raising puppies. Then you will also have a reference while you are getting comfortable with your new pup.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

I suggest you check the puppy forum - LOTS of info there.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Active Pup

Well today he's been playing lots. He's yet to pee or poop in the house because we take him outside as soon as he wakes up so we prase him everytime he goes outside.

We are trying to keep him awake most of the day so he wont cry all night is this a good thing to do?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Actually it is best to let sleeping pups sleep for the most part. They are growing while they sleep and will spend anywhere from 14-18 hours sleeping just like a baby would. A bit before bedtime it is Ok to keep him up and play with him so that he gets tuckered out. New pups will cry at first regardless of how much sleep they get anyways. This is all new to them and stressful, they are all alone in the big world now in a new environment, they just need some time to adjust.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Active Pup

We just got him a kennel he was fast asleep most of the night then cried then sleeped. Now during the day when I try to put him in her crys it was getting annyoing so I thought it would be best to keep him out during the day (He just sits on the floor and sleeps)

Two quick questions

1) How long will he cry for aprox

2) He's got the worst dog breath ever I'm not kidding it smells like poop or something it's horrible breath.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

1) it depends. Usually 2 weeks tops
2) that's the same with all puppies