Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD she asked about her dog not to hear all your opinions on how bad puppy food is or how good puppy food is. She asked if she was feeding her enough and that is all she needed to know. She didn't need to know that you all have so many tens of years of experience and so on and so forth. she doesn't want to hear your petty grievences. if you people can not act like normal functioning members of society when replying to someone's post then DON'T post. I don't know if anyone else noticed but she has not made a reply in here since the second page. CAn't anyone ask a question without it turning into a brawl. It's a wonder anyone posts on this board. "I'm smarter than you are" "my dad is bigger than your dad" this is what you guys sound like. Sorry but GROW UP and get back to the original posters questions.

well, I hardly think it's a 'brawl'...no need to get so upset here.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
yuckaduck

Is Hannah a pure bred Lab or a mix? I thought she was a mix and maybe she is mixed with something smaller. She looks healthy in her pictures so I would not worry. You are a good mommy so I am positive you are feeding her enough and she is just fine.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
Is Hannah a pure bred Lab or a mix? I thought she was a mix and maybe she is mixed with something smaller. She looks healthy in her pictures so I would not worry.

She really is a beauty!! all of your dogs are!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

My advice on the subject - stick to what the bag says. If she seems too skinny, increase the dose, if she seems to put on weight too fast, decrease it. Keep in mind that treats count too, so if you feed a lot of them, take 10% off the dose.

I disagree with Manchesters about dogs eating only until they are full - or there wouldn't be so many obese dogs around! I asked in the food forum a while back about the dangers of overfeeding a pup, and the main one is that they will grow too fast. So, in my opinion, better feed a bit less than too much. And I will never free feed my dogs, because I *know* they would eat way too much.

In this case, I think that she is just indeed 'petite', 50lbs at this age is probably the norm, keeping in mind that males are often bigger than females, too. But as long as she's healthy, it's fine! Keeping her on an all lifestage diet is probably the best you can do for her anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi
well, I hardly think it's a 'brawl'...no need to get so upset here.

hehe sorry its just frustrating

Anyway I don't think hannah looks too small or unhealthy at all from the pictures i can see of her. I have also heard that feeding them too much speeds up their growth and causes joint problems. Not just obesity but think about a young boy in highschool that shoots up 6 inches in one year. he's not overweight but I'll be he has knee problems BAD.

As far as over feeding, I agree with renee. Teddy will only eat what he feels like eating. Some days he doesn't eat both of his meals. Other dogs I know will gobble up anything you set in front of their face (food or not hehe ) They just have different personalities. i don't think it has anything to do with someones dog being a "savage"

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Manchesters

Default My, My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
No offense but you know we don't agree about dog foods at all. If my dogs had food sprayed with rancid restaruant grease I am sure they wouldn't chow it all down right away either. They'd be to busy begging my food of me which they don't since they get something even better.

As for the fasting, at this point I choose not to since Gunnar isn't old enough to fast and I don't want to cheat my other babies out of a meal when he gets to eat (what can I say I spoil them) once Gunnar is old enough then they will fast.

Civilized they are, meal time is nice, Gunnar lies down to eat his food and the rest enjoy their food so much that they all rub their muzzles along the floor afterward. A sign of a meal enjoyed!
Ok......1st you can SMELL rancid fat in dog food. 2nd.....you don't know what you are talking about, since you don't know what the beasts are eating. 3rd....again you imply that your dogs have no manners. I have only one dog that begs food of me.....15 1/2 year old bat witted Mandy. And only when I have pizza. Then she stands with a foot on top of my foot so I will remember she is there. She is getting rickety, and may only last another several months, so I spoil her.

My dogs don't beg food from me. But as soon as they see or hear signs that I am nearing the end of my eating, they will all stand up and look at me expectantly. Then they go lay back down.

Oh, and wiping their mouthes on the floor is a sign of a dog cleaning the grease and stuff off their DIRTY mouthes. The Manchesters are very delicate eaters. They do not eat like slobs. The Whippets are the same way. They eat their food one piece at a time, like ladies.

And I should think all dog owners would agree that the food that is best for their particular dogs is whatever food that the dog thrives upon.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Manchesters

Default Obese Dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
My advice on the subject - stick to what the bag says. If she seems too skinny, increase the dose, if she seems to put on weight too fast, decrease it. Keep in mind that treats count too, so if you feed a lot of them, take 10% off the dose.

I disagree with Manchesters about dogs eating only until they are full - or there wouldn't be so many obese dogs around! I asked in the food forum a while back about the dangers of overfeeding a pup, and the main one is that they will grow too fast. So, in my opinion, better feed a bit less than too much. And I will never free feed my dogs, because I *know* they would eat way too much.

In this case, I think that she is just indeed 'petite', 50lbs at this age is probably the norm, keeping in mind that males are often bigger than females, too. But as long as she's healthy, it's fine! Keeping her on an all lifestage diet is probably the best you can do for her anyway.
I would really like to know how many of those obese dogs are free fed. I doubt any of them. Most are fed by overindulgent owners who never exercise their dogs. Of course there is always and exception......my dog Blaize (the one in the picture biting the Whippet's leg) was always fat. Turned out she was pre-diabetic.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Manchesters

Default Spoken Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD she asked about her dog not to hear all your opinions on how bad puppy food is or how good puppy food is. She asked if she was feeding her enough and that is all she needed to know. She didn't need to know that you all have so many tens of years of experience and so on and so forth. she doesn't want to hear your petty grievences. if you people can not act like normal functioning members of society when replying to someone's post then DON'T post. I don't know if anyone else noticed but she has not made a reply in here since the second page. CAn't anyone ask a question without it turning into a brawl. It's a wonder anyone posts on this board. "I'm smarter than you are" "my dad is bigger than your dad" this is what you guys sound like. Sorry but GROW UP and get back to the original posters questions.
One who doesn't have a clue.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
One who doesn't have a clue.
Thats ok I would rather you think i don't have a clue than be perceived as being a bitter old which.

try being civil for once. and get back to the original post. enough of your bickering. no one wants to hear it

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
Ok......1st you can SMELL rancid fat in dog food. 2nd.....you don't know what you are talking about, since you don't know what the beasts are eating. 3rd....again you imply that your dogs have no manners. I have only one dog that begs food of me.....15 1/2 year old bat witted Mandy. And only when I have pizza. Then she stands with a foot on top of my foot so I will remember she is there. She is getting rickety, and may only last another several months, so I spoil her.

My dogs don't beg food from me. But as soon as they see or hear signs that I am nearing the end of my eating, they will all stand up and look at me expectantly. Then they go lay back down.

Oh, and wiping their mouthes on the floor is a sign of a dog cleaning the grease and stuff off their DIRTY mouthes. The Manchesters are very delicate eaters. They do not eat like slobs. The Whippets are the same way. They eat their food one piece at a time, like ladies.

And I should think all dog owners would agree that the food that is best for their particular dogs is whatever food that the dog thrives upon.
You feed Pedigree according to your website and a brawl we had before. Anyways...
"However according to a book by Goren Bergman, it is just a way to clean food particles off the lips but also signals that the dog is "contented, full, and undisturbed". This might develop into a "thanks-for-the-food ceremony" according to that author"