Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Perfect timing for that bit of information since by the weekend I would have been out buying her another bag of puppy food. You just saved me some money!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

lol i thought u were talking about a kid (hannah).lol i love your dog. she's cute!!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
That's what she eats I tried feeding her 2 cups (mixed with a quarter can of food) twice a day and she just acted like she was SO hungry that we gave her a little more at each feeding. If anything she seems skinny. You think I'm overfeeding her? I'll cut down her meals some than.
I can't say whether or not you're overfeeding her since I haven't seen the dog in person or even a good picture of her. And you may be feeding the right amount of food, it just seemed like a lot to me. Do the rib and backbone check; are they easily felt but not visible? I will admit that I have very little experience feeding puppies. All my dogs have been over a year of age when I got them.

Odd thing about feeding amounts: I tried increasing Sawyer's food by a 1/4 cup at each meal (he eats 1 1/2 cups 2 times a day) and he will eat what he's used to and leave the extra portion in his bowl. Go figure.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Dogs rule humans drool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
Feed her as much as she will eat twice a day, or maybe 3 times a day. 4 1/2 cups a day is not enough. Try 3 cups plus 1/4 can of food twice or three times a day.
u cant feed a dog as much as wat they will eat, dogs eat all the time, this will lead to obesity. A dog that is very badly overweight is just as cruel as not feeding a dog, with the many heath problems that can occur with obesity, mainly the heart

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeilover
u cant feed a dog as much as wat they will eat, dogs eat all the time, this will lead to obesity. A dog that is very badly overweight is just as cruel as not feeding a dog, with the many heath problems that can occur with obesity, mainly the heart

I have to disagree with that. it is the general thought to feed a puppy as much as they will eat, at least 4 times a day. they do NOT over eat...IF they do gorge themselves then it may be another problem, such as worms. my dogs wouldn't consider overeating....they eat til they've had enough, and some days in the summer that is below the 'norms' per cup. I've actually never seen a dog 'eat all the time'....altho, given the opportunity for a bit of people food..they don't like to pass it up! lol
Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi
I have to disagree with that. it is the general thought to feed a puppy as much as they will eat, at least 4 times a day. they do NOT over eat...IF they do gorge themselves then it may be another problem, such as worms. my dogs wouldn't consider overeating....they eat til they've had enough, and some days in the summer that is below the 'norms' per cup. I've actually never seen a dog 'eat all the time'....altho, given the opportunity for a bit of people food..they don't like to pass it up! lol
Although this is true in some situations it's not always true. Some dogs will gorge themselves, for instance, a rescue from the pound that was a stray and had a hard time finding food would most likely always gorge themselves for fear of not finding more food. I also couldn't free feed any of my dogs, they would eat until they burst!

Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Manchesters

Default Very Good!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
I can't say whether or not you're overfeeding her since I haven't seen the dog in person or even a good picture of her. And you may be feeding the right amount of food, it just seemed like a lot to me. Do the rib and backbone check; are they easily felt but not visible? I will admit that I have very little experience feeding puppies. All my dogs have been over a year of age when I got them.

Odd thing about feeding amounts: I tried increasing Sawyer's food by a 1/4 cup at each meal (he eats 1 1/2 cups 2 times a day) and he will eat what he's used to and leave the extra portion in his bowl. Go figure.
At least you can be sure that the dog is getting what it needs/wants to eat! I have a feed bin for my bratty girls, and don't have a flabby one around here...........except for myself, that is, rofl.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Manchesters

Default Hhhmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Although this is true in some situations it's not always true. Some dogs will gorge themselves, for instance, a rescue from the pound that was a stray and had a hard time finding food would most likely always gorge themselves for fear of not finding more food. I also couldn't free feed any of my dogs, they would eat until they burst!
Mea culpa.....I didn't realize we were discussing starving dogs here. All of my dogs free feed, and there are none that are fat. Dogs pretty much eat in balance with their exercise level. Too bad we humans can't do the same, heheheheheh.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Mea culpa.....I didn't realize we were discussing starving dogs here. All of my dogs free feed, and there are none that are fat. Dogs pretty much eat in balance with their exercise level. Too bad we humans can't do the same, heheheheheh.
Well, if your dogs were offered what my dogs are offered to eat I guarantee that they would gorge themselves and bust!

Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:

LOL, manchesters...I was thinking the same...too bad we humans feel the need to eat when not hungry. that's where dogs are much more intelligent! the only obese dogs I've ever seen were ones that were fed fatty table scraps that are bad for them to begin with, and ones that do no receive proper exercise. animals eat until they are full...then stop. I also free feed. we have 'dinner time' where they get their raw chicken & veggies...otherwise the kibble is there for them anytime they want. both are wonderfully thin..healthy thin. I would never presume to think what a starving dog may do, but I suspect once it was reintroduced to a proper diet it would not gorge. there are always exceptions to any rule, however, I just don't think that is the usual