Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Lab Love

oooohhh my! Poor little opie.

Why hasn't he been adopted yet? Who can resist such a beautiful face! I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
He has such a sweet doggy face. How old is he? Is his story somewhere? (I truly can't have another dog, but I'm curious about him and he's tugging at my heart. )
Well, his story is that he was surrendered to Frederick County MD animal control because his family's house was foreclosed on. FOHA then pulled him from that shelter when his time was up. He was adopted to a home with a 2 year old (something I never would have done had it been up to me) and then returned several weeks later for snapping at the child. He was adopted again to a different family with a 14 year old, and returned two weeks later for biting the father, a relative who came to visit, and snapping at the 14 yr old.

Opie is a skittish, sensitive dog. Just the word "no" spoken in a harsh tone will send him into a panic. Stef and I have found, though, that the "eh eh" sound is effective in getting your point across. He throws off every submissive behavior in the book, so I do not think those bites in the second home were "unprovoked" as the adopters had claimed. Opie will need a PATIENT, UNDERSTANDING, KIND owner (preferably a woman, he's more wary of men) who will work with him using only positive methods, as aversives will just destroy him. He needs to be allowed to grow on his own time, and not be forced into anything. Opie is not a dog for the novice owner. He does love other dogs, and I think a home with other dogs would be very beneficial to him.

Outside his run, Opie is jumpy and watchful. Inside his run he's cuddly and loving, rubbing his head on my chest and laying against me. I would love to bring him home myself, but its just not possible right now as I have no job, no money, and I live with my parents; my dad has a rather angry personality and gets verbally abusive when he's mad, and I think bringing Opie into this situation would be asking for another bite to occur.

Oh yeah, I believe he's about 3 now. We believe he is a fila mix.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Felurian

Grrrrrr . . . . they should have hooked Opie up with a good Fila rescue from the beginning instead of trying to place him themselves. Anytime you can get a dog into a good breed rescue you're going to up the chances of putting the dog into the right home, especially one like Opie.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Squishy face

The problem is, the Powers That Be (the board of directors that makes all the decisions) tend to be very possessive of these dogs. To get them to give Opie to another rescue would be like pulling teeth, to use an old cliche.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Felurian

I know, Sweet I'll be amazed if they allow him to be adopted even, at this point. He needs out of there in the worst way, though.

Do you know how to get in touch with the Fila breeder who looked at him? Maybe she can help you get him out somehow and into a home where he can stick.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am so in love with Opie, i wish it could be me. Hope someone falls head over heels in love with him soon.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Felurian

I wish it could be you, too, Smkie. One thing is for sure, you and Hyia would be SAFE.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I know, Sweet I'll be amazed if they allow him to be adopted even, at this point. He needs out of there in the worst way, though.

Do you know how to get in touch with the Fila breeder who looked at him? Maybe she can help you get him out somehow and into a home where he can stick.
Actually they have no problem adopting aggressive dogs out to people (not that Opie is actually "aggressive".) *insert bitterness here*.

I have no idea how to get in touch with that fila breeder. I don't even know her name or anything. She left before either I or Stef were able to talk to her.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Very Food Agressive

I wish I lived in MD. He's such a sweet looking boy that reminds me a lot of an abused GSD mix I had when I was younger with his story. I'd love a Fila IF I could find a house with a suitable yard for them. I love huge breed dogs.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

Something about Opie just pulls at me.

We've been talking and are planning to move out be in a new place at the beginning of July (hopefully) but that is such a long way off so I don't think it helps much.

Even with that aside I am not sure if they would adopt Opie out to me with a toddler.

ETA: Crap I just checked FOHA's website and even location is a problem, they won't adopt out of the DC area.

Last edited by Bunny82; 01-19-2009 at 03:03 PM.