Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 AM
h2304

Default What do you think about Pit Bulls?

I have seen some that are nice dogs. But i have seen some that are horrible dogs. Like my freinds labs almost got killed by a Pit Bull the other day. He had to scare it away with a shotgun. But these dogs would not be near a dangerous if the people who own them would keep the pinned up. But in alabama people let their dogs go free. So what do you think about Pits?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Staffie Mad

I believe this topic has been covered many times. I have a staff, and I love her. She'd be grouped under the "Pit bull" umberella in the US. I beleive dogs should be kept off the streets in a safe environment, but not locked up, they should be allowed to go out for walks like any other breeds, but always with a responsible owner.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Use the search engine on the forum and you will find numerous threads on this subject. I personally do not have any experience with Pitbulls. But I don't have anything against them.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
h2304

No what I mean is that the dogs go wild during the day and at night they comback to their owners for food. Also these type of wild dogs couse alot of dog attacks. No I have seen a nice Pit. It had been raised from a puppy and was not aggressive.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2304
No what I mean is that the dogs go wild during the day and at night they comback to their owners for food. Also these type of wild dogs couse alot of dog attacks. No I have seen a nice Pit. It had been raised from a puppy and was not aggressive.
Any dog that is allowed to run free could cause problems. That is such a broad category and not all of them are pit bulls. If everyone acted responsibly and properly socialized, trained, and contained their dogs then no dog would be such a menace! I can almost speak for everyone on this forum by saying we love the breed and feel it is one of the best breeds around. On the other hand, it is very sad that so many owners act irresponsibly with their dogs, pit bull or any other breed.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54 AM
h2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Any dog that is allowed to run free could cause problems. That is such a broad category and not all of them are pit bulls. If everyone acted responsibly and properly socialized, trained, and contained their dogs then no dog would be such a menace! I can almost speak for everyone on this forum by saying we love the breed and feel it is one of the best breeds around. On the other hand, it is very sad that so many owners act irresponsibly with their dogs, pit bull or any other breed.
Yes, it is a shame that dogs live wild like that. But just to be fair A Pit Bull is more dangerous becouse they were breed for dogfighting. I belive, while not immpossible, it is very hard to break this fighting behavour.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2304
Yes, it is a shame that dogs live wild like that. But just to be fair A Pit Bull is more dangerous becouse they were breed for dogfighting. I belive, while not immpossible, it is very hard to break this fighting behavour.
You are right in the sense that certain dogs have traits bred into them. Pit bulls can have a tendency to be dog aggressive (is socialized and trained they can also be great with other dogs), but if raised correctly, they are hardly ever human aggressive. People need to pay closer attention to their breeds purpose and act responsibly.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Happy

My attitude has changed completely. I went to college in a decaying city where stray pit bulls wandered around frequently, and I never had a problem with them despite being the kind of person who can't resist whistling to a dog and saying things like "Hi, come on, want to walk to class with me?" and otherwise interupting their day. I used to quite like their looks, and was very sympathetic to their problems. Now, however, I'm much more dubious. My dog was attacked and nearly killed by an American Bulldog last year, and while I know that it's not a given that every pit type dog is a dog-killer, I am extremely wary of them when I walk my dog. I'm also very wary of other large dogs (GSD, Labs) but I will never take my dog near a pitbull type dog. While it's true that all dogs can hurt and kill, and any large dog is a potential problem, I've seen first-hand how a bulldog attack differs from a GSD attack (my town absolutely teems with irresponsible dog owners who let Bruno run loose) and I now strongly feel that bulldogs should be subject to more scrutiny than other breeds. People say 'they're dog-aggressive' as if that's not a problem. While it's less pressworthy than eating toddlers, it's still a massive problem in a crowded society. I don't appreciate nearly losing my dog to someone else's 'fighting' breed, no matter how sweet it is with children, old people and invalids.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

In the right hands (such as my own! LOL!) they are the most endearing breed of dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning. In the wrong hands (just like any other dog) they can do some pretty severe damage. Luckily they are an excellent breed and many people are working very hard to give them a new image, not one based on hype and ignorance. Pits are fourth from the bottom on the list for most dog bites. 88% of them pass temperment testing in shelters, where only 70 some % of other dogs combined pass. It is too bad that a small group of people have used these dogs for their own perverse pleasure but if it wasn't the pit it would be the Dobe or the Rottie, or the Shepherd, Mastiff, Cane Corse, yadda, yadda, yadda. The list goes on and on. I love the breed and have taken in a few rescues in my day and each of them was an absolute love, they craved your attention and love and would become "velcro" dogs. If given the chance they can be your best friend, in the wrong hands they can be your worst nightmare.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Taco Dog

Gotta agree with Adrienne on this one. My grand-mother has a AmStaff. She was beaten as a pup and made to have several litters. When she was around 2, they rescued her and took her around people and all kinds of different things to just show her, not everyone/everything is bad. Now, 5 years later, when she sees you coming, she rolls over on her back and asks for a bellyrub.
Yes, they were bred for fighting... But this is kind of a Nature/Nurture kind of thing. It is the dog's nature to be a fighter, but if nurtured in the correct manner, those tendencies will calm down. The 'Pit' is a very loyal dog and will obey his master, therefore if the owner is a dumbass that doesn't know the first thing about owning a dog, then the dog will probably be an attacker. These are the ones that you hear about on the news. Because it is bloody. For some reason, people like to hear about bloody, controversial things. If the owner is a good, experienced dog owner, the 'Pit' will be just as carefree as your stereotypical Lab.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com