Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
h2304

Default Your longest lived dog

I had a Dachshund that lived to be 17 years old. But what was your longest lived dog?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

My longest lived dog was a Border Collie mix, she lived to be 18. I also had a Shepherd mix who lived to be 16. At that time we only fed our dogs table scraos and they only received their vaccines when they were spayed, nuetered and then never again. They were healthier than most dogs I see now a days.
Oh, meant to mention we have a client with a mixed breed terrier which is 21 years old still going strong...and the scary part is the dog eats the cheapest dog food, but gets tons of table scraps as well...the table scraps must balance what is missing in the Ol Roy dog food.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:17 AM
h2304

Some times the best taken care of dogs die young. But, the longest lived dogs are the ones that are raised by rednecks. And the ones that are fed crap food.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

h2304, Oh my...I had to laugh at that when I read your post
I have to say that I have seen the dogs that get top notch foods, Vet exams on a regular basis etc have short lived lives...and then I see these people who just feed what ever is on sale and vaccinate once in the dogs life...and these dogs live forever. We could learn some thing from these people. For instance, over vaccinating = bad...shorten lifespan...?
Feeding only kibble foods = bad...shorten lifespan....?
doting on the dog and making it feel unhealthy, when a redneck would just say...'get up and get to it fido"....haha
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 AM
h2304

I dont mind the bad food as much how some people tie up their dogs on a 2 foot rope. I saw one dog thats skin was grown over the collor. It had never gone off the rope in its whole life. Its a real waste.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM
no touchy

My Aunt had a yorkie/poodle who lived way into his twenties.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

My aunts schnauzer made it to its twenties too. It was fine untill its last year when it started going blind.

Our oldest was eighteen and she was a yellow lab. Or it could have been the black one,I don't really remember,I'd have to call my dad and ask! Thats why he is having such trouble finding a lab breeder. they are all telling him average age is ten to twelve.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I dont mind the bad food as much how some people tie up their dogs on a 2 foot rope. I saw one dog thats skin was grown over the collor. It had never gone off the rope in its whole life. Its a real waste.
I have seen the same, and it's not just hicks that do this to dogs...unfortunately even people with money can do awful things. I have seen so much from maggots eating dogs alive from the inside (nice old lady owned this dog, she just didn't know you had to brush the dogs). A dog with it's collar grown into it's neck- this from a person who didn't realize the neck of the puppy grew when they got older this lady had a good job and education to a university level. I have seen dogs/cats/birds etc confiscated from people who work with animals and give OTHER people advise on how to look after their pets...the list goes on and on.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

When I was a kid, we had an 18 yr old Beagle mix and a 15 yr old son of that dog mixed with Lab who was 15. He got hepatitis or he probably would have lived much longer...was healthy otherwise. They ate Purina Dog chow and a little bit of table scraps. But of course, different breeds have different life expectancies. I'll be lucky to get 10 years out of my Dobe and my Chi's, if nothing goes wrong can live to be an average of 15-17 yrs old. Wow....those dogs that made it into their 20's!!!! Wow!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i have seen a 22 year old teacup poodle..but it was blind, deaf, and senile so i don't know how much it got out of growing that old..the oldest dog i have had was stinky dink and he around 18 or so i forget now.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,