Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Maybe Lizzy . Then they said that the boy would have to start painful shots right away ....which the boy's parents didn't want .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Well whether someone agrees or not..I would NOT house a dog that BIT when startled even if they were sleeping!

Yes dogs are startled, and they may jump and look sharply back at you, but a dog that turns and snaps...in my book, NOT SAFE with anyone.

But even believing that...DO NOT let children mess with the dog when it is having "alone" time or eating. That is a recipe for trouble as children don't always know when to stop!

I have heard of it though...

S

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Taxiderpy

This was one of the big reasons none of the greyhound rescues would adopt to us, since they didn't think we'd be able to manage a small child and a dog together. One lady kept lobbying for us though, as she had her children after she had owned her greys for 5 years and it worked out fine.

The lady lobbying for us said that some greys will snap when awakened suddenly, and some won't. The thing is they have slept in crates their whole lives, and so from the time they are separated from littermates they have never experienced being touched while sleeping. This combined with the fact that greys will sleep with their eyes open and don't look like they're asleep can get dicey.

Anyway, she said that the way she childproofed her dogs was to begin by laying a light blanket on them while sleeping, and progressively work up to things like pillows, stuffed animals, etc. and the moment they woke up she would stuff a hotdog in their mouths. She gradually built up to where she would nudge them awake using a toddler sized doll, and they were both cured of the snapping. She still managed them carefully to prevent accidents, but felt that the desensitization was important because with kids and dogs, anything can happen no matter how well you manage.

We did the same thing with Strider beginning when he was a puppy, and he's pretty bombproof. He wakes up drooling and trying to lick people's hands, lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
We are Home.

What Romy said about the greys. Our organization actually tests for this when a person wth kids is interested in a dog.

Weve had Scirracco about 5 years now and obviously never thought about kids and him. Well he does this (snaps in his sleep) and we have had only one issue with it.
It was about 3-4 years ago when my god sister moved into the house the first time. (theres actually a thread about it on here). She had a 6 mth old or so that crawled and we told her NOT to let the baby near Scirracco when he is sleeping which in our house is very easy. We have a baby gate and our family room where he spends most of his time can be closed off competely by glass doors. Well she didnt watch the baby and she went to crawl on him (im geussing i was at school) and he snapped at Payton. All he did was scratch her because as soon as he relized it was a human he stopped. NONE of them I have dealt with ACTUALLY BITE.

He hasnt done this sense because as long as you call his name or make sure hes awake she can do ANYTHNG to him. She LOVES to crawl across him like a speed bump and he just lays there and trys to lick her. That baby can do ANYTHING to him when he is awake but asleep no. It is like waking a little kid up when they dont expect anybody to wake them up it scares the carp outta them.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Yup, that would be pretty scary. I've never had a dog do that. Just in case...to try and condition my puppies to being startled, I would pat them, stroke their feet, ears etc and talk to them while they were sleeping and they must have been having wonderful dreams and woke up all cheerful. Mine never wake up as though they're startled. They just open one eye and then a tail usually wags once or twice.

But I can see how those retired greyhounds, so unused to all that might be reactive that way.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
and Fozzie B!

Honestly, I wouldn't feel that I could trust a dog who would snap at me or others while sleeping. Maybe an initial shocked reaction... but I'm not a fan of dogs who bite first and ask questions later, even while sleeping. D=

I have never worried about it with my two, because well, Gonzo ALWAYS sleeps with one eye open and knows what is going on at all times. He can be dead asleep, and if I get up, he's up in a heartbeat. This is why I can never, ever get a single picture of him sleeping. Fozzie on the other hand could sleep through a hurricane/tornado/vortex/earthquake/volcanic explosion... he will fall asleep in any position, on anyone's lap, and doesn't even bat an eye when people mess with him, poke him, or dress him up while he's napping.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Top Dog

A very different side of it - we had that issue with our Bedlington later in life, and a good friend of mine is currently having it with her mixed-breed who is towards the end of a battle with cancer. I think that often, our pets will tolerate a LOT when they are awake and can prepare themselves. I think with both our dog and my friend's, pain was a big factor. Whereas Medley could be pretty stoic and tolerate any handling when he was awake, if someone suddenly bumped into him when he was sleeping, he'd wake up quickly and hurting, and more than ready to protect himself. If someone had a dog that was doing this, I'd look long and hard at any physical issues the dog had, and get them to a vet for a full check-up.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
koda bear

thanks lizzybeth. Maybe insecure wasent the best choice of a word he only has drawn blood when he gets worked up and im holding him trying to keep him from a confrontation with another dog so maybe aroused is a better word but he definatly uses his mouth when i wake him he wont draw blood then just grip my arm. Could the confrontations with the other dogs be because hes not neuteured yet it only seems to be other male dogs and i hold him back and he uses his mouth on me.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
tessa_s212

Never had my own dog bite me. No matter how old, how much in pain, how deeply asleep, how deaf, or how blind. In fact, as they became older, blind, and deaf, they became less reactive. Especially when Ginger was still alive, she was both deaf and blind, and we'd have to shake her liberally to wake her up.

Concerning my circumstances now, I'd likely have very little tolerance for such behavior. If for old age/pain related reasons, we could likely cope with it with more tolerance, but if it was just a snappy, rude dog, then no.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Sleep startle reflex can be desensitized effectively and safely by way of the olfactory bulb. This is a very common problem that I encounter quite often.
Approaching a dog with something really smelly and wonderful placed just in front of the nose (using an extension *assess-a-hand* or something similar if risk is high) and allowing the dog to wake to the smell at first and gradually desensitizing to touch as time and progress allows. It is important to gradually work into the deeper periods of sleep, which of course happens far quicker in dogs sleep cycles than in humans.

I was with a Corso client last night with this sensitivity and she lives with five children ranging in age from 3 - 10.(if Saje is reading this, she was really a doll). Though she attempted to sleep throughout the last 75 minutes of the session, we were able to make quite a bit of progress in a very short time.

By about the fifth arousal, she woke looking for something yummy, very unlike her previous history, and this was after allowing her to reach full twitch.

Practiced often, the sleep startle can and in most cases does disappear.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/

Last edited by dr2little; 01-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.