Salmon Heads

mrose_s

BusterLove
I was just at the supermarket and saw checking the fish area of the deli quickly to see if there was anything half cheap, they had wntire salmon heads sitting there so I bought a couple.

Just need to check that they're okay to feed to Buster? He's a good chewer so he won't try to gulp them down and he's never had any more fish than tinned sardines/tuna or cooked leftovers from work.

Saje

Island dweller
My dogs have never had luck with salmon. They've thrown it up every time I've given it to them. I don't know about Oz but here the pacific northwest salmon carries a parasite that is very dangerous to dogs. You have to freeze it for at least two weeks in a COLD COLD freezer before feeding it. Might want to look it up in your area. I'll try and find the name.

Saje

Island dweller
I think this is it: Nanophyetus salmincola but check some old posts from mordy. she's talked about it before.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I asked about it on an Australian dog forum and got the tumbs up.

I gave Mac one and Buster one and neither would touch it, they had absolutley no idea what it was... or what to do with it lol.

I ended up cooking them into stock to pour over kibble on occasion and gave Elliot the bits of meat that I could pull off afterwards. Atleast they didn't go to waste.

dogaddict

I asked a similar question about salmon sometime back, got some useful advce to beware of dioxin levels, and that salmon form the pacific northwest is to be avoided. If your fish is definitely frozen or farm-raised then it should be fine! I give my dog cooked fish 1-2 times a week.

sprintime

I've often bought whole salmons for my dogs. But I did keep them frozen for a few weeks before feeding them, heads and all. If I thawed them they would leave them but if I fed them partially froze they would love them. I think it might be that they are just too mushy to sink their teeth into them if not frozen. But you probably could have oven fried them and they would have loved them.

Members online

No members online now.