Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitewitchone
Sorry, but I have to agree with Manchesters. Almost every chow I've EVER met has been anti-social to downright vicious (except with family members). I'm sure there are some nice ones out there but as a rule, they've earned their rep. The same pretty much applies for Shar-Peis.


Pam
Yup sorry but My aunt has two chow chows and they are constantly fighting with each other and no one will go visit her because these dogs are vicious. They were socialized and she still walks them to try and socialize them as older dogs. Everyday she exposes them to people and other animals. They need to wear muzzles because they are so mean. They went to a respected breeder and paid loads of money to get sound dogs and they are mean.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Coming in on the tail end of this one . . .

Certain breeds do have specific temperament traits if well bred - Chows - and many, many other breeds, are supposed to be aloof. My dogs are supposed to have a strong aversion to strangers when properly bred.

BUT !!!!! Good owners make good dogs. No breed is inherently 'bad' although it is easier to mis-handle some breeds than it is others and there are breeds that do seem to appeal to the wrong people for the wrong reasons, but that is no fault of the dog or the breed.

And, as Manchesters pointed out that she hoped no one would walk up to a strange Chow and start petting it, I would add that I would hope NO ONE would just walk up to any strange dog, of any breed, and invade that dog's space!
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

I agree.... but I do have to smile when a stranger comes up to Chip with their hand held out in the " introduction" position and ask if he's friendly !! I appreciate it though.
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I would add that I would hope NO ONE would just walk up to any strange dog, of any breed, and invade that dog's space!
Amen to that.
__________________

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 PM
RD's Avatar
RD RD is offline
Are you dead yet?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 15,322
Default

Not going to get into this, I just have to say that it's pathetic that people who know very little of a breed will go around posting false information.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-09-2005, 11:55 PM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't know anything about the breed except what I have experienced with my aunts and there are a few around here and they are muzzled when out for walks. I asked one older gentlemen who was walking a chow why he muzzled it and he said because people are scared and this makes them feel more comfortable, but he thinks his dog is extremely gentle. Another one was a younger lady and she had two and she said because they will bite anything that walks by them. But they did not start that behaviour until they were 5 years old, before that they were as nice as can be. Personnaly I know nothing of the breed maybe they are nice, maybe they are not. No clues, only posting the experiences I have had and the rest is for the reader to decide.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Manchesters
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Well......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
Not going to get into this, I just have to say that it's pathetic that people who know very little of a breed will go around posting false information.
Just how do you know that what they are posting is false? Are you thoroughly familiar with these breeds so that you KNOW that what is said is false?

I would suspect that if one obtains information from one of the top breeders of a breed, then that information can be taken as gospel, wouldn't you? Sarah had Chows for eons. She produced 25 home bred champions. She received recognition from the top AKC judges and most knowledgeable dog gurus! Not bad for someone who could barely afford to show, and seldom went to shows further than 200 miles from home!!!!! Got written up in Dog World magazine---actually her dogs were RAVED about in that article!!!

You can rest assured that if anyone posts any false information about any breed I am well educated in, I will set them straight! And believe it or not, there are scores of breeds I do not know nuttin' about, lol. So I am not being a conceited twit!!!!!! Although I am sure that sometimes I sound like it.

Oh.....I guess I forgot to mention that I owned Chows once upon a time????
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Manchesters
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Coming in on the tail end of this one . . .

Certain breeds do have specific temperament traits if well bred - Chows - and many, many other breeds, are supposed to be aloof. My dogs are supposed to have a strong aversion to strangers when properly bred.

BUT !!!!! Good owners make good dogs. No breed is inherently 'bad' although it is easier to mis-handle some breeds than it is others and there are breeds that do seem to appeal to the wrong people for the wrong reasons, but that is no fault of the dog or the breed.

And, as Manchesters pointed out that she hoped no one would walk up to a strange Chow and start petting it, I would add that I would hope NO ONE would just walk up to any strange dog, of any breed, and invade that dog's space!
But some breeds ARE more psychotic than others. And because of that proclivity to panic and fear, they are more unpredictable and perhaps treacherous. Greyhounds, and other sighthounds, as well as Chows come to mind (a mind that is half asleep, lol.) Some dogs just don't do socialization well. Oh yeah.....and the good old Basenji comes to mind too. Boy, they are a trip and 1/2. Freak out in a second!! I wonder if there is a defect in the brains of some of these breeds?????
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Manchesters
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Forgot To Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
Just how do you know that what they are posting is false? Are you thoroughly familiar with these breeds so that you KNOW that what is said is false?

I would suspect that if one obtains information from one of the top breeders of a breed, then that information can be taken as gospel, wouldn't you? Sarah had Chows for eons. She produced 25 home bred champions. She received recognition from the top AKC judges and most knowledgeable dog gurus! Not bad for someone who could barely afford to show, and seldom went to shows further than 200 miles from home!!!!! Got written up in Dog World magazine---actually her dogs were RAVED about in that article!!!

You can rest assured that if anyone posts any false information about any breed I am well educated in, I will set them straight! And believe it or not, there are scores of breeds I do not know nuttin' about, lol. So I am not being a conceited twit!!!!!! Although I am sure that sometimes I sound like it.

Oh.....I guess I forgot to mention that I owned Chows once upon a time????
One of Sarah's pups went to the lead singer of the group Alabama. And another to Jimmy Buffet. THEY sought her out! She nearly fainted when she heard from the Alabama fellow--she adored their music!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Ash47's Avatar
Ash47 Ash47 is offline
Taco Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deep South
Posts: 3,069
Default

Manchesters,
My grand-daddy went to school with the lead singer of Alabama. All but one of them still live here, and it isn't the main guy that moved away.
Small world huh? And I agree with you on the "some breeds are more psychotic than others." Hate to say it, but it is true. When people hear that I have a Chihuahua and a ChowX, they give me this creeped out look of, "Are you insane??!" They can't believe I have a "nippy little dog and a psycho big dog." LOL Oh well, guess I am insane. What can I say? It was bred into me.
__________________
My angel, my best friend, my Roxy Mae. There are no words to describe what you meant to me. RIP bebe.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com

Last edited by Ash47; 08-10-2005 at 12:59 AM. Reason: error
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site