Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Manchesters

Default There Is A Reason......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
If the dog came from a BYB then yes, temperment may be in question but Chow breeders have worked exceptionaly hard at maintaing a stable temperment of this breed, it is not the norm for them to be aggressive to that degree.
That Chow exhibitors hold the mouth of a dog shut while the judge is going over it. I just happen to have a dear friend who was one of the top Chow Breeders in the Country. You can read about her and her dogs in the Jean Brearly book, or the Anna K. Chow Chow book.

Chows are totally weird dogs. They will spazz out with no provocation, and try to eat everyone around. Just the same as cats will freak out and go totally nutso. The dogs cannot see all that well if they have the preferred wrinkled head, which makes them spookier, and they are just plain grumpy.

A two year old male needs his family jewels removed from the vault, and some hard core obedience in a class environment with a trainer who knows what he/she is doing. A Chow will push you as far as he/she can (you=boundaries). They can become very treacherous dogs.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesys
what is byb meens ?
and how do i make him more friendly because we having a company all the time but he feels that is need to be on garad all the time/
what should i do
thx
Well, BYB means back yard breeder, someone that breeds dogs that haven't been health tested or temperment tested. A good breeder would screen all potential owners and would have a guarentee for if the pup had problems down the road.

To make him more friendly first you need to address the questions already asked. Has he been neutered? Has he seen a vet recently because this new reaction could be caused by an illness. Then you need to get a muzzle for him so that while you are working on making him friendly again he can't hurt anyone. Has he actualy bit someone? Has he been taken out and about to meet new people during his lifetime? Has something in your family changed to make him more aggressive? People can't really offer advice on something as serious as this without knowing about the dogs life.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
That Chow exhibitors hold the mouth of a dog shut while the judge is going over it. I just happen to have a dear friend who was one of the top Chow Breeders in the Country. You can read about her and her dogs in the Jean Brearly book, or the Anna K. Chow Chow book.

Chows are totally weird dogs. They will spazz out with no provocation, and try to eat everyone around. Just the same as cats will freak out and go totally nutso. The dogs cannot see all that well if they have the preferred wrinkled head, which makes them spookier, and they are just plain grumpy.

A two year old male needs his family jewels removed from the vault, and some hard core obedience in a class environment with a trainer who knows what he/she is doing. A Chow will push you as far as he/she can (you=boundaries). They can become very treacherous dogs.
Come on Manchester, do you have to argue everything? One of my moms best friends breeds chows and it is not the norm nowdays for them to be aggressive for no reason. Anyways telling a person that their dog is meant to be this way is not solving the problem it is just adding to it by giving an excuse for the behavior. Most likely this dog has a medical issue for this to have sprung up so quickly or it hasn't been socialized properly. Don't generalize the breed...that is why Staffies and Pits and Dobes and Shepherds have gotten such a bad rap. Being a dog lover I would think you wouldn't want to add to that rap. Oh well I give up.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

looked like a manchester that tried to eat my chow alive last night....ya just never know.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Sorry, but I have to agree with Manchesters. Almost every chow I've EVER met has been anti-social to downright vicious (except with family members). I'm sure there are some nice ones out there but as a rule, they've earned their rep. The same pretty much applies for Shar-Peis.

Pam
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I am absolutely amazed at the ignorance of people If it was such a horrid breed why do they continue to breed it?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I'll have to agree with Manchesters on this one, too. Get your dog FIXED... that's the first step. And get him/her into training. They aren't wired great (from the ones I've known) but the ones that got trained and loved on ended up fine...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Manchesters

Default Breeding Chows......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Come on Manchester, do you have to argue everything? One of my moms best friends breeds chows and it is not the norm nowdays for them to be aggressive for no reason. Anyways telling a person that their dog is meant to be this way is not solving the problem it is just adding to it by giving an excuse for the behavior. Most likely this dog has a medical issue for this to have sprung up so quickly or it hasn't been socialized properly. Don't generalize the breed...that is why Staffies and Pits and Dobes and Shepherds have gotten such a bad rap. Being a dog lover I would think you wouldn't want to add to that rap. Oh well I give up.
And this friend of your mom's has finished HOW MANY Chows? The breed standard has not changed. It calls for an aloof dog. Why does this friend breed Chows? For money, or to improve upon the breed??? I am not generalizing the breed, I am being very specific. They can and will freak out and chomp anyone who is close enough.
Perhaps your mother's friend breeds the coyote style Chow????
Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I agree that chows are a very tempremental breed. They go off for the littlest reasons. It takes a VERY cautious owner with a chow chow. I have seen the damage to the face of a child. And I have known several and would not trust any of them with my children.

Just because a chows parents has health tests, and its parents are tested for "temperment" does not mean that the chow pup will grow up to be a trusted dog. It takes lots of training and socialization to get the most out of this tempermental breed. And maybe they will pass the temperment test, then two days later, not pass the same test.

Each to His Own....... No Sense in arguing over opinions and nothing is 100%.

Sincerely,
Julie.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

im sorry i have no advice, but i had to LOL @ manchesters...for saying. "he needs his family jewels removed." LMAO!!!!!!! at least someone who watches her mouth. i would have said the opposite. heehee.however i think...its the way it comes out of my mouth.