Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Negative affects of feeding wet vs dry?

I have heard that feeding too much wet food is bad for dogs teeth. What are the other cons with feeding a primarily wet diet?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Wookie Collie

From what I understand, weight gain can be an issue with feeding wet, due to portion differences. Also, depending on the content of the wet food you choose, very stinky poops. :O
Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Just try me..

The teeth thing is bogus. High quality wet food is just fine.

The main thing will be cost. You are paying a premium for a food that is mostly water. Dogs have to eat far more of wet to get the same nutrients as they would out of the same volume/weight of kibble.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
just call me Nilly

A primarily wet diet, provided it's a high quality, in many ways can be BETTER than an all dry diet.
It's higher moisture, often higher meat content/protein, and generally MUCH lower carbohydrate content than kibble.

The biggest con is that it's cost prohibitive.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

The only bad thing about a good quality wet food is price. Wet food does not rot teeth, it makes no sense that a wet food would stick more than a chewed up dry food.
Low quality wet have the same problems as low quality dries, bad coat, stinky poo etc.
wet food generally has less carbs which is great for an overweight dog, cutting out fat is usually not a good idea even though that's how diet foods often do it, it's much better to cut carbs, wet food does that.
For cats wet food is a must because dry food has SO many carbs (25%-50% carbs) where as a wet food is usually under 10% (3% is what I've seen in what I buy) and it causes all sorts of problems from kidney disease to urinary blocks and especially diabetes. cats are carnivorous, they cannot handle carbs well at all. Dogs are omnivorous so dry does not hurt them, they CAN handle the carbs but wet is just as good. It is just wicked expensive.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Big Dog

the theory behind dry food and dental health is that the crunchy and hard texture of kibbles can help to scrape some plaque off of teeth, where with wet food you don't get this benefit.

I've fed wet foods to my dog and it's difficult to go back to kibble because they get picky.