Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-10-2005, 02:17 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
sorry not quite sure what you mean about the 1/2
I think she means to measure the height of the box divide by 2 and add that much more height to the box.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

if it is any higher jess wont be able to get out, do you mean measure jess when lying down and it should be twice the hight of her
Old 08-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Manchesters

Default Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
if it is any higher jess wont be able to get out, do you mean measure jess when lying down and it should be twice the hight of her
When Jess is laying on her side, the pups will climb up onto her and if the box is not deep enough they will tumble out. And the rails should be high enough that a pup can fit underneath them. Cannot tell from the pics.

It is, as I said, truly amazing how newborn puppies can get all over the place with little effort!! And check their toenails.....they may need cutting. I always kept babies nails cut so they would not make hamburger out of their mommas.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

I know you know about the nails, and I'm sure you know about the whelping area.... I think both Manchester and I wish we were there !!! I know I miss it !!! It is hard to understand from your picture, I see the whelping area and the cage.... and don't forget, I base it on a golden .....MUCH bigger pups !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Top Dog

When we built our welping box as it need to be fairly high at the sides so that the pups couldnt climb out or fall over the top of mum, I was concerned that mum would not be able to get out of the box herself to go to the toilet etc, so we inserted a fold down gate into one corner of the box, this could be lowered for mum to get out and then put back into place after she had returned. the rails need to be high enough for pups to crawl under comfortably but not high enough for the mum to lean back and get under it herself, the rails are so that the pup, should it get trapped by the mum could wriggle free and under the rails to safety.

Mo
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

Thanks all, and yep i know all about nails etc I have whelped litters before and raised them. The rails are high enough for the pups to fit under as this is what they are for, when the pups are mobile the cage will be changed so the whelping box will be removed, I put it in because i didnt want the pups to get too far from mum while they need warmth, and the cage is huge it usually has two jacks and a boxer in it and they still have room for their food and water bowls
Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Top Dog

I never kept food and water in my boxes...... I kept it so the Mom could come and go at will and raised the entrance as the pups got older. When old enough for food or water, they had their "play" area with papers to practice their pees etc on. Of course, Mom got her water in the pen when needed at the beginning. I was able to be with her/them practically all day, so they were a happy bunch !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would suggest, is when you take the actual welping box out, I would somehow put some boards areound the sides at the bottom of the cage, to prevent the pups getting their legs caught in the wide openings near the base of the crate.

read this:- http://www.kennelsafety.com/

I know this is about a praticular crate, but it does make you think.

Mo
Old 08-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe
Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would suggest, is when you take the actual welping box out, I would somehow put some boards areound the sides at the bottom of the cage, to prevent the pups getting their legs caught in the wide openings near the base of the crate.

read this:- http://www.kennelsafety.com/

I know this is about a praticular crate, but it does make you think.

Mo
yep I will be putting the same plastic that I made the whelping box out of around the whole of the cage, and thats a sad story poor pup
Old 08-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I never kept food and water in my boxes...... I kept it so the Mom could come and go at will and raised the entrance as the pups got older. When old enough for food or water, they had their "play" area with papers to practice their pees etc on. Of course, Mom got her water in the pen when needed at the beginning. I was able to be with her/them practically all day, so they were a happy bunch !
Are you refering to the fact that i keep the food/water in with my adults?