Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy Please help!!

My grandma's poodle, Roxie is a little over 1 year old and still gets car sick on occassion when taken somewhere. She is miserable so we never take her anywhere unless we have to. Does anyone know how to help stop this problem??!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Well, you could ask the vet and see if there's something she could take right before a car ride. At the kennel where I work, there is a dog that gets car sick and her owner makes sure she does not eat before any car ride. We always have to make sure we dont' feed her the morning she goes home, and I guess she is fine then. Maybe you could try that?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

They have natural remedies at pet stores for that. A bit of Ginger can be helpful to calm the tummy down. Gunnar was on Benadryl for a few months when he was a pup whenever we went anywhere, contact your vet for proper dosing instructions, it worked wonders and he wasn't drugged up at all.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Manchesters

Default Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by capersuasion02
My grandma's poodle, Roxie is a little over 1 year old and still gets car sick on occassion when taken somewhere. She is miserable so we never take her anywhere unless we have to. Does anyone know how to help stop this problem??!!!
Some people swear by ginger snaps. Also Dramamine works. And crating the dog in the car in case it does vomit. I have racks in my crates so that any liquid in the crate does not get on the dog.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:12 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

When we drive up to Ontario (8 hour drive) we give teddy half of a dramamine. he is about 90 lbs and that is the amount the vet suggested so definately see your vet about proper dosage for your dog. It also makes them a little drowsy. It helps them sleep in the car. but like i said our trips are 8 hours long lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Big German Shepherd

You need to desensitize. Take him on little car trips, I mean little around the block-- if that's too much up and down the driveway. It needs to be very short and you need to practice that and gradually make the trips longer to desensitize.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

I agree, only taking him in the water from time to time is just not going to get him used to it.

Boris was the same way, and he hasn't been sick in the car for a while now.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19
When we drive up to Ontario (8 hour drive) we give teddy half of a dramamine. he is about 90 lbs and that is the amount the vet suggested so definately see your vet about proper dosage for your dog. It also makes them a little drowsy. It helps them sleep in the car. but like i said our trips are 8 hours long lol.

I have to add that this worked very well for us. Over the whole trip he got 1.5 Dramamine pills. He was very well behaved, but did not sleep as much as we thought he might. Either way, it was a VAST improvement over Teddy's FIRST car ride. UGH!
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I suppose it probably took us about 10 hours because of all the stops we made to let teddy stretch and go to the bathroom. Teddy is fine in the car for drives around town and such but 8 hours is a little much for any dog really (thats 8 hours there and 8 hours back) He did not sleep as much but he was much more relaxed and just watched the cars, chewed on a bone, etc. He was not anxious like he sometimes gets when the ride is really long. I wouldn't use it for short trips though.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Love my pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
You need to desensitize. Take him on little car trips, I mean little around the block-- if that's too much up and down the driveway. It needs to be very short and you need to practice that and gradually make the trips longer to desensitize.

Good luck.
Good advice, that's exactly what I was going to say.

Also, it helps to let fresh air into the car to breath.

I bought a few plastic tablecloths to put on the seat & myself so in case an accident happens, it's caught on the vinyl which I can clean off when I get home.