Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Active Pup

Question EVO no more

Hello,

There are two dogs in my family, one is my sisters and the other is mine. When my dog (a small poodle mix) was a puppy I had a lot of trouble finding a dog food that would not make her sick. I switched her to EVO since she was about 3 months old, and she is doing great (she is 4 years old now). My sisters dog is a medium size dog (beagle/lab mix) who had an allergic reaction to chicken soup (the dog food), so we had to put her on the same food as my dog. I do not want to change their diet, but I have to. Right now, we can barely afford to buy EVO for our two dogs. I am getting a standard poodle in about a month :-) to train to be a Service Dog. (I recently retired my small poodle form Service Dog work). This means that we have to buy more food, and I do not think we will be able to afford EVO.

I have been reading labels and comparing foods, but I find it quite overwhelming.

My small poodle has not had any reaction to chicken soup (the dog food). I am not as worried about her as much as I am about my sisters dog. Also, I want my puppy to be healthy :-)

Does anyone have any suggestions? opinions? experience? I would appreciate your help.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Lord Cynical

If you still want to stick with Grain Free, I'd highly recommend Taste of the Wild (TOTW as it's usually called around here). It's a quality food, and it's relatively inexpensive - especially compared to EVO - and most people who feed it have very good results. I fed it for about six months and loved it. I currently feed EVO, but if something happened and I had to go with a cheaper food, I'd probably go back to TOTW.

www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Active Pup

Default healthwise

I am considering healthwise because it is also cheaper than TOTW. I was paying about 60 for EVO the 28.6pound bag. The healthwise is about 30 here. Has anyone tried that food?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Water Junkie

Healthwise is about the same as TOTW, last time I checked. Maybe it's changed?

Another decent one might be Diamand Naturals. I've just heard of it, and it sounds pretty good for how cheap it is.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Love my pets

I buy Diamond Naturals at Tractor Supply. It's $26 for 40 lbs.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
<----Thanks Allie

have you considered cutting the food? As in mixing them? I mix evo and TOTW... it brings the price down a little bit.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Active Pup

Question too risky?

Where I live TOTW is about 20 less than EVO, but healthwise is 30 less. I am considering TOTW because it is grain free, and I can feed it to my puppy as well. If I get Healthwise I would have to buy the adult kind as well as the puppy. One of our dogs gets bad allergies from grains, so switching to healthwise could be a big risk. I get the puppy in 20 days, and I have to figure out what I am going to do about the food issue. The puppy will be a standard poodle, which means that it will eat probably more than my two smaller dogs put together. This is why I need to get something that is less expensive. I am now leaning more towards TOTW because of those reasons.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I Live in My Dog's House

What about Wellness Core? It is a decent grain free food and not too expensive.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-E View Post
...I am considering TOTW because it is grain free, and I can feed it to my puppy as well...
You might want to talk to your breeder before feeding grain free to your new puppy. I remember reading something somewhere about it not being a good idea. I think it's because of the protein content of grainfree, but I could be wrong. What I do remember is that it was recommended not to feed grain free to a pup.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Lord Cynical

Luckily with TOTW, the protein isn't as high as it is in most grain free foods - which is why it's the only grain free food I *would* feel comfortable feeding a puppy.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)