Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
h2304

Any technque will work if you scare the hell out of the dog.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2304
Any technque will work if you scare the hell out of the dog.
yeah, thanks for the advice
Old 08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Puppy Dog

scaring might cause fear to enter the dog's mind and attack the person who is scaring him
Old 08-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I don't believe in hitting, but sometimes a spank does prove a point ....as in children.
I agree. You see momma dogs give disciplinary nips to their puppies all the time. It shockes the pup, and probably scares it for a second because this is something new and different, but you know the pup will listen to the mother. Maybe because it doesn't want to get nipped again, maybe because it learned it's lesson. Either way, momma dog rules the roost.

The problem with this being applied by a human is that it's really hard to figure out where the line is between a "hand nip" and an outright smack upside the head.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
no touchy

The girls get a light slap on the butt only if they've done something horribly bad. If we come back to a room full of garbage, we just point at the mess, say, "NO! BAD DOG!!" and then they get a timeout while we clean up after them.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
If we come back to a room full of garbage, we just point at the mess, say, "NO! BAD DOG!!" and then they get a timeout while we clean up after them.
ugg. punishment after the fact, that's not good. either you do it while catching them in the act, or not at all.

what you are doing just teaches the dogs that they can't trust you.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
ugg. punishment after the fact, that's not good. either you do it while catching them in the act, or not at all.

what you are doing just teaches the dogs that they can't trust you.
If you point at the trash, I'm sure they know what you're talking about. My dad and I came home one day to see trash EVERYWHERE because he got out of his spot (where we keep him when he's gone).

All we did was stare at the trash and he walked off real slowly crouched down with his ears behind his back-- he knew he'd done wrong....all we did after that was yell at the trash, good technique.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

Big dog...I'm afraid that the dog didn't know what he had done wrong. He sensed and saw your body language and tenseness/anger under the surface and was afraid of you. Something....some punishments that he has experienced in assoication with this body language, tense and agry countenance that you had, triggered his fearful, "shameful" appearance. Dogs cannot connect a condition and a response with that much time inbetween. It has to happen while the act is occuring or within 4 seconds of it's occurance. Punishing a dog after the fact, as Mordy said, only makes the dog fear and distrust you. This is exactly why I am all for positive method training. Too many people do not understand about the timing and delivery of punishment or reward for that matter or canine behavior and psychology and cause more problems with their dogs. It's absolutely unfair to punish a dog for something he has no idea what it is you're getting after him about.

I urge you to read that clicker training thread and read those links. That is the most fun and kind way to train an animal....any animal.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Big dog...I'm afraid that the dog didn't know what he had done wrong. He sensed and saw your body language and tenseness/anger under the surface and was afraid of you. Something....some punishments that he has experienced in assoication with this body language, tense and agry countenance that you had, triggered his fearful, "shameful" appearance. Dogs cannot connect a condition and a response with that much time inbetween. It has to happen while the act is occuring or within 4 seconds of it's occurance. Punishing a dog after the fact, as Mordy said, only makes the dog fear and distrust you. This is exactly why I am all for positive method training. Too many people do not understand about the timing and delivery of punishment or reward for that matter or canine behavior and psychology and cause more problems with their dogs. It's absolutely unfair to punish a dog for something he has no idea what it is you're getting after him about.

I urge you to read that clicker training thread and read those links. That is the most fun and kind way to train an animal....any animal.
I'll have to beg to differ. Wasn't tense or angry at all-- I was surprised.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
no touchy

For ya'll...

We point at the mess, say, "NO!" and then they get a two-minute timeout. It's not like we lock them up for two hours . Yes, I know the "the dog doesn't remember" thing, but when I point at the mess, my dogs realise. Sometimes I don't even say anything if it's something small I just say, "Ah great what did you do?" and clean it up. It's seriously not a big deal LOL. And just so you all know, they rarely tear things apart, they are usually very calm in the house and know that they shouldn't mess.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.