Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog Experts Come

This is real freaky... I never knew my dad's method would work... but... it did... freaky...

Ok, well Cooper is not allowed upstairs but he always is upstairs. So my dad got mad at Coop and slapped him real hard in the bottom and said "Get down stairs!" right in front of me. I was shocked, scared, and guilty. Well, a couple hours later I went upstairs and came back down... there was Cooper on the bottom of the stairs waiting patiently wagging his tail and everything !

The books I read said that hitting a dog wouldn't help at all. But for this it did!

Anyways, comments here

I'm still not believing this
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Jerk.

Maybe Coop thinks your dad is the alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 08-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Abusive methods will indeed work, in that the dog will do anything to avoid being hurt or frightened. But abuse is NEVER the answer. It can make a dog fearful and defensive and unhappy. If this happens often, the dog will be a coward who slinks around miserably and that is a dangerous and sad thing. It can also make him very submissive and he can develop submissive urination where upon seeing your Dad, he urinates in appeasement. It can cause fear biting. A much better way is to show the dog what you want and reward lavishly for his obeying. Prevent him from going upstairs. Don't let him get whatever it is he likes upstairs. Block it off. Show him what you mean. Take him right back down over and over if he follows you. You can give a firm vocal command like "no" if you want. But don't hit him like your Dad did. Try to explain to your Dad this is no way to treat a little pup. He doesn't know what is expected of him yet. It's a gradual process and shouldn't be rushed. He needs to be a happy pupppy. If he is treated like this often, he should be in a new home if it would be allowed.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Island dweller

Nanook must have been treated like that in the past. She submissive pees and when I reach for her collar she cowers. We don't hit her. I take my time with her and she's learning to trust me. She loves her new home. You don't want your dog to be like that do you?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Richie...hate to say this but your dad sounds like the kind of man who would hit your dog for even peeing submissively. It sounds like he has Zero patience.

Pam
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Abusive methods will indeed work, in that the dog will do anything to avoid being hurt or frightened. But abuse is NEVER the answer. It can make a dog fearful and defensive and unhappy. If this happens often, the dog will be a coward who slinks around miserably and that is a dangerous and sad thing. It can also make him very submissive and he can develop submissive urination where upon seeing your Dad, he urinates in appeasement. It can cause fear biting. A much better way is to show the dog what you want and reward lavishly for his obeying. Prevent him from going upstairs. Don't let him get whatever it is he likes upstairs. Block it off. Show him what you mean. Take him right back down over and over if he follows you. You can give a firm vocal command like "no" if you want. But don't hit him like your Dad did. Try to explain to your Dad this is no way to treat a little pup. He doesn't know what is expected of him yet. It's a gradual process and shouldn't be rushed. He needs to be a happy pupppy. If he is treated like this often, he should be in a new home if it would be allowed.
Oh, don't worry, I would NEVER hit my dog. And I'm still gonna try to convince him that it's the wrong thing to do
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitewitchone
Richie...hate to say this but your dad sounds like the kind of man who would hit your dog for even peeing submissively. It sounds like he has Zero patience.

Pam
yup... I think I can talk to him now. He kinda feels sorry for what he said b4
Old 08-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I don't believe in hitting, but sometimes a spank does prove a point ....as in children.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I don't believe in hitting, but sometimes a spank does prove a point ....as in children.
But it's wrong for a dog?

But I would agree, it causes fear aggression in dogs, a very serious problem to have...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I suppose hitting/spanking does "work". They'll be sure not to do it when they will get caught. But what's going to stop them from doing it when you are not around? I think it's the same for kids and dogs, it doesn't really teach them anything.

I'm sorry your dad hit Cooper, Richie. Just try to keep him out of your dad's way.