Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Default How Did S/N Go With your Dogs?

As far as the benefits and risks goes?

For the benefits in my dogs, as far as no marking and humping.

Pepe was neutered when he came to us, but he still tried to hump and he marks on walks.

As far as no aggression goes, none of my dogs are 'aggressive', but Princess my doxie will growl sometimes in excitement I believe though, like houseroughing and chasing after another dog, but I think its a breed/hound thing? But she is clear on the fact that she's the alpha female in the pack.

For the risk, as far as gaining weight...my dogs have kept the same weight as before, average weight, active {not lazy} dogs.

But for Valentino as far as raising his leg, he's 10months and still hasn't raised his leg, not sure if its because we got him neutered early {4 months} or because it still might take some time before he does.

Oh and as for calmer dogs? .............

Last edited by Juicy; 01-01-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
*Biter*

Corvus is neutered and honestly, I can't tell a bit of difference in him behavior-wise. His activity hasn't gone down any, he hasn't gotten fat, etc.
He was neutered a year ago at approx 7 months of age and he just recently started hiking his leg on things in our yard.
He's still a dominant mouthy dog aggressive little twerp, but I didn't expect the neuter to change that. It's just who he is.

Hannah isn't spayed and won't be unless she develops pyometra. She has major problems and I won't subject her to another surgery which could easily kill her unless the only other option is that she would die without it.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Big Dog

I have a 2ish year old mutt in the house, who is neutered - Casey. Casey was neutered before I adopted him, around 10 months - 1 year (not sure when I had him done...I had him longer as a foster first).
I also have a 5 year old intact aussie right now too - Ben.
Neither dog marks, neither humps anything 4 legged, or 2. Casey is hyper, but that's his breed. Ben, on the other hand, is very laid back. We go for walks, and then he sleeps all day. Honestly - if I didn't know THEY were there, you would think he was neutered! He shows no interest in female dogs when we're at the park - he just wants the people.
I think the marking is more of a training thing, honestly. Both used to mark on walks, but I do not allow it - they potty, we procede, and it's a done deal. They both lift their legs to pee, but that's about it.
I have a 6 week old male intact puppy too - but I don't think he counts. He'll be neutered and placed for adoption once he hits 8 weeks - providing his testicles have dropped!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Mine were always intact for breeding purposes . I saw no difference when they were S/N in later life .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Alexa is spayed and there was no difference in her behaviour or any weight gain or anything like that.

I don't think she even knew what happened. She didn't even notice her stitches or anything.

But she's strange.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

The recovery took a day, silly dogs. The didn't go on meds or nothing since it was a low-cost clinic, and they were just fine, didn't need the e-collar, nothing.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Just try me..

Kaiden is intact. He has NEVER humped a thing (well other than actual breeding) and he is very good in the house unless there are a girl in heat here. He is the 'true' alpha dog in that he is not growly or aggressive in anyway. He just knows if he wants something its his. (dekka flipped over and showed her belly to him a few days ago...)

Snip was fixed a few months back at around 3 1/2 years. He had never humped. It did slightly curb his over the top territorialness with other males in the house. (He has always been fine away from home)

Dekka is intact, so is Dash and Bounce. Dash (male) is just starting to think of peeing on things (he's almost a year and a half) Bounce is a girl and she likes to Hump Dash. So does Dekka (also a girl) Dash seems fine with it...

So over all I don't see much difference.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Princess the doxie humps, but I think thats a domiance thing.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Spaying didn't change Sarama . . . although her first heat, prior to being spayed, did. It was like she grew up.

As for the spaying, it bothered her for about a day. She did get a minor infection with her incision, but it was not life threatening and was easily handled.

Sarama always humped (she's female, so its a dominance thing) and she did it less after being spayed, but she still does it.

She gained a little weight, but she also stopped growing at about the same time.

As for benefits, I definatley would have had it done, even if it was not required. I might have waited a bit longer, until I was sure she had stopped growing, but since she's a mixed breed, I consider spaying a necessity unless there's a medical reason not to. Its not worth the risk of having another litter of mixed, unwanted puppies in the world.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Ares was neutered at a year and a half. It did help his over-the-top marking. He was aggressive before and that didn't change at all.

Morgan was spayed at 5 because of some major discomfort during her heat cycles. The only change I see is she doesn't have get as miserable twice a year.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team