Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Big German Shepherd

Saje, that link was wonderful--I added it to my favorites. Here's the thing though:

Rocky was doing the same exact thing described but it wasn't me not establishing myself as the alpha male but more fear aggression--which may be the problem now.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

thanks everyone for the help...and thanks for that link dani, i like sites like that...although, i found this one #, where you could call, and state your problem, and the people were so insanely rude, i hung up on them...she was like "it IS NOT OKAY FOR YOUR DOG TO NIP"..im like duhh, but he is a puppy, isnt that normal? and shes like...ahh he is aggressive, what dont you understand? you need to take him away from your family right away before he bites someone...

i was like, gee, thanks...and ::click::

aww poor rocky, why is he scared?

i dont think oakley is scared, i have never seen him put his tail down or anything like that...the ONE time i saw him put his head down, and act scared, was when he pooped in the house...sheesh, i dont know why he was so scared, he has never gotten punished for that by us, cuz he was basically housetrained when we got him (this was a week or 2 ago)

I am def going to contact those people though...that is what my family needs. Someone to come in and tell us exactly what to do, lol

we have way too much "well, lets try this, or lets try that" going on, and too much inconsistency just because we arent experienced dog owners at all.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza
thanks everyone for the help...and thanks for that link dani, i like sites like that...although, i found this one #, where you could call, and state your problem, and the people were so insanely rude, i hung up on them...she was like "it IS NOT OKAY FOR YOUR DOG TO NIP"..im like duhh, but he is a puppy, isnt that normal? and shes like...ahh he is aggressive, what dont you understand? you need to take him away from your family right away before he bites someone...

i dont think oakley is scared, i have never seen him put his tail down or anything like that...the ONE time i saw him put his head down, and act scared, was when he pooped in the house...sheesh, i dont know why he was so scared, he has never gotten punished for that by us, cuz he was basically housetrained when we got him (this was a week or 2 ago)

I am def going to contact those people though...that is what my family needs. Someone to come in and tell us exactly what to do, lol

we have way too much "well, lets try this, or lets try that" going on, and too much inconsistency just because we arent experienced dog owners at all.
what phone number was it for what site that was rude to u ? wats it called?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_W
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'll tell Skye how handsome you think he is.

NILIF= Nothing In Life Is Free.

Here is a link about it. http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
Sorry Melissa, I mean he. I couldn't tell if he was a he or a she right away, you know he is just so HANDSOME.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

lol... that's ok, bogolove. He's one of those pretty boys.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

LOL! One of the few good ones, I am sure!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza

He's scared mainly because of a lack of socialization--it wasn't my fault... my dad worked 24/7, the only socialization he could get in was when I invited someone over or my dad's friends came over-- which was a decent amount when he was younger but it ceased at about 4 months... but lately I've been having my cousin come over and give him treats and stuff and hopefully I'll be able to get him into some socialization classes.

Also, he used to get hit for certain things-- which I know is bad... but I've been trying to drill in some NILIF lately... and he's improving greatly. Thought that might be the case with you because he would bare his teeth at me and snap whenever he was chewing on a bone and I came toward his bone. Same with food. But I "cured" it.

Now, he just needs some socialization. Also, I didn't think dogs even thought about being the alpha male at that age.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
He's scared mainly because of a lack of socialization--it wasn't my fault... my dad worked 24/7, the only socialization he could get in was when I invited someone over or my dad's friends came over-- which was a decent amount when he was younger but it ceased at about 4 months... but lately I've been having my cousin come over and give him treats and stuff and hopefully I'll be able to get him into some socialization classes.

Also, he used to get hit for certain things-- which I know is bad... but I've been trying to drill in some NILIF lately... and he's improving greatly. Thought that might be the case with you because he would bare his teeth at me and snap whenever he was chewing on a bone and I came toward his bone. Same with food. But I "cured" it.

Now, he just needs some socialization. Also, I didn't think dogs even thought about being the alpha male at that age.

ahh gotcha...

yeah, oakley used to get a spanking, but i dont think he cared at all...he would kinda cower when he knew it was coming, but it didnt stop him from doing whatever he was doing that made him deserve one.

I left a message at the place thats closed...its closed cuz the guy is moving in a few months, but he said he can come look at oakley anyways...

now im debating here...its 200 for him to come for like an hour or so....
if the barkbuster place is 400 w/a lifetime guarentee...that might be better...and they arent going anywhere, lol

does anyone have an opinion on this? The guy is a certified animal behaviorist...and it seems liek the barkbuster place is pretty credible too...

think we would be better of spending more money now, rather than just having to later on?

Thanks Jessie!

Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Probably. Call barkbusters and just talk to them. It never hurts to call and ask questions. You don't have to do it if you don't like what they have to say. I would definitely call and talk to them. I was going to do it a while back, but I just didn't have the money for it, and I only needed it for one problem really. And it was not as serious an issue as what you are having.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191

bigdog still dont get it even when ur dads working couldnt u take him for a walk though, or did u have to stay inside?