Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

I think if you are ready for it go for it! I have three dogs in my home and they all get along famously. Gunnar, my youngest, it strongly bonded to me even though he could bond with the other two dogs. He loves to play with them of course but is happy as heck to play with me. Just make sure you take the time to train each one individually, away from the other. I also agree that you should first see how they get along on neutral turf, before you make a committment to get the new pup. Most likely there won't be any issues since your pup is still fairly young, he should be more than happy to accept a new pack member and teach it the ropes!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Fine Fran,

I tried to be polite about it, but never mind.

You seem to be an expert with dogs so I will leave you to believe it.
Susi
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Default politness

Hi fran,

I was only trying to be polite, and didnt want to upset you.

I can now see that you are the overall expert in things having two dogs, so I will leave you to believe in it.

susi
Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm not, and never pretended to be, but not more than you. I haven't seen any valid reason to wait until the first dog is 2. So that he's better trained? Well, some dogs have good manners way before that. So that he's calmer? Why does it matter? Puppies are more adaptable than adults. I personally would think it would be harder to get a new dog when you have an adult dog. So that you don't have to train two puppies? Very good reason, but my first knew all the commands I wanted to teach him, was housetrained, and trustable alone in the house when he was 5 months.

I've read a few times that people advise to wait for the first one to be older, but I have yet to see any other reason than 'so he has better manners'. If your dog has decent manners at 8 months, what's the problem?

My point is, every dog is different. Some will never accept another dog, some will have no problem with it, some feel lonely when they are alone in the pack, some can't be left alone in the house until they are 3, some are reliable at 5 months... Only the owner can know when it's the right time to get another dog.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Fran,

smile

Susi
Old 08-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi fran,

another thing if you have a translation mode in your computer then translate this

Der Klügere gibt nach.

No its not rude its just a wise saying

Susi
Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for all the replys everyone, any other forum i have posted on i was lucky to get one lol. I wasnt planning on getting another pup for a good couple of months yet anyway, as i have a few things that need doing first what is the reason you say to wait 2 years? i mean one of the main reasons for getting another dog would be a mate for buster from a when he was a pup there has all ways been someone in the house but now my brother is of age to leave school and get a job so he will be on his own allot more and when we are out like i said in my previous post he gets attacked allot by other dogs no one seems to want to play with him poor lad lol. anyway like i said thanks for all the repys and here is a pic of him
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi
Hi fran,

another thing if you have a translation mode in your computer then translate this

Der Klügere gibt nach.

No its not rude its just a wise saying

Susi
The more intelligent one gives way...Love GERMAN!

Old 08-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

It's just a tad rude Susi. Thanks for calling me stupid.

But yeah I would be interested in hearing good reasons to wait until the first dog is 2 year old too. I'm always willing to discuss when people actually use arguments.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Puppy Dog

Seeing that there is a translator of german how about this one:

Du hast Recht, und ich habe meine Ruhe.

Susi