Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 12-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Just try me..

LOL Punky that is why I have Peek. The average horse can easily carry 20% of their weight. Soo if you have a well built 16.1 1500 pound horse (Peek) he can carry 300 pounds. That includes tack.. but we are in no danger of hitting that

Of course if the footing is good and you aren't riding too long a horse can carry more, if the footing is arduous or the ride long the horse should carry less. Riding skill plays into it too. A horse can have an easier carring a well balanced rider who weighs more than an unbalanced one who weighs less.

Senn will be able to carry me as I am when she is fitter. BUT I want to do all of the riding on her so I want to be light enough to get her started myself.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Angel Chicken

Awwww what pretty a snow doggy, and horses too!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Puppy Dog

What wonderful photos, you are quite talented! Your horses are very cute, do you do a lot of riding?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyLab View Post
What wonderful photos, you are quite talented! Your horses are very cute, do you do a lot of riding?
Its a long story.. but no I don't.

the condensed version...

I worked in the horse industry for years. I taught riding for years. The horse industry is not a nice place (even if your students are winning) My frustration and dislike of the industry began to affect my feelings towards horses.

I stopped teaching, went back to school. I kept many of my horses (we have 6). Its been 4 years and just now I am I starting to get the bug' again to start riding/showing.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Life's Rough

I just love your baby...she is absolutely adorable. Very pretty head on her.

The third picture down of Dekka, is gorgeous as well.

Congrats on the new horse, very sweet expression! Gotta love the winter fuzz!

"Life is not a matter of milestones...but of MOMENTS."
Old 12-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Kotah BEAR

Yay horsey pics!
Your little Aria is growing up so fast. I really like how fuzzy the babies get. hehe
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Its a long story.. but no I don't.

the condensed version...

I worked in the horse industry for years. I taught riding for years. The horse industry is not a nice place (even if your students are winning) My frustration and dislike of the industry began to affect my feelings towards horses.

I stopped teaching, went back to school. I kept many of my horses (we have 6). Its been 4 years and just now I am I starting to get the bug' again to start riding/showing.
May I ask which riding discipline you were involved with? I am fairly active in the western riding community and have currently started the "journey" to obtain my coaching certification. I will agree that some aspects of the industry are not always user-friendly but there are many bright spots as well. Sad to hear you are no longer involved with the industry but I'm so glad you kept your horses so we can enjoy your photography!!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Just try me..

mine experience was in Hunter/Jumper and Dressage. I have friends who were into WP and it seems its every bit as bad. (I found the hunter world the worst)

I never bothered with my Cert. If you are teaching cert coaches and your students are winning in trillium hunter and dressage.. its not much of an advantage. (that and I have horror stories relating to the testing from friends)
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
mine experience was in Hunter/Jumper and Dressage. I have friends who were into WP and it seems its every bit as bad. (I found the hunter world the worst)

I never bothered with my Cert. If you are teaching cert coaches and your students are winning in trillium hunter and dressage.. its not much of an advantage. (that and I have horror stories relating to the testing from friends)
I'm not too familar with the english "community" but I know they have a reputation around here. I'm currently just getting into WP but have been involved in gymkhana's and rodeos before this.

Around here its very hard to get a coaching job without a cert. Although there are some that manage it, its getting to the point where if you want to make any money doing it you need to be certified. Seems kids (and parents) are demands more qualifications these days.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Just try me..

That is true.. if you already have years of producing riders who ride well and win it doesn't matter so much. But if you are starting out its hard to get insurance if you are not certified.

I found the WP crowd very very snobby and back stabbing. The reiners always seemed cool and laid back. I have a few friends who used to show the AQHA circuit, but gave it up as too unpleasant (unless you are very very wealthy and train with a BNT)

The english crowd is no worse or better than the western. I have never seen snobbery like that of the AQHA WP crowd.. but I am sure that the hunter world can be just as bad.