Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Default Good kibble?

I know that there are tons of threads about this already but some are pretty old so information has changed.

My crew eats raw, but I'm looking to pick up a good quality kibble to use as treats or a meal when my schedule gets hectic.

I was feeding taste of the wild and they did okay with it but after the Diamond recall I'm a little weary of feeding it. I was thinking about picking up some Canidae but I've been told it's not the food it used to be - is this true?

Does anyone feed Timberwolf or Solid Gold?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Big Dog

The Diamond recall was for one specific food, and it was a long time ago. I've been feeding Taste of the Wild for months now with no problems. I would recommend sticking with grain-free foods..and foods that have meat as the top 5 ingredient. Taste of the Wild fits the bill, so I feed it...and it has at least 25% protein in all 3 of their formulas. Never tried Timberwold or Solid Gold though.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

We feed raw and use Innova Evo Red Meat as a standby/supplementary food. The dogs like it and you don't need much of it as it's very rich.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

We also do a mixture of raw and EVO red meat.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
koda bear

Ive been feeding canidae for two years and they have no problem's on it so im not switching ive changed foods to many times I also give them innova once in a while to spice things up. But they really like canidae.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Lord Cynical

We feed EVO to the dobes, and SG Hundenflocken to the corgi.

I wouldn't touch Canidae with a ten foot pole, now that they've changed their ingredients.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Lord Cynical

PS - I think Timberwolf has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth, after it came out that they were lying about what was actually in their foods. My parents used to feed their cat food, but they stopped selling it because their bags were on backorder. (They now feed Wellness core, if you're curious. )

Ada's doing pretty well on the Solid Gold. All of their foods are mild mild mild though, so if you're looking for a nice tasty treat... there may be more palatable foods out there.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Taxiderpy

We're using TOTW wetland and prairie formulas and he does great on them. There is another food we're toying with ordering. The brand is Nature's Logic. They have a rabbit meal formula we feed our cat, it's the only food she does well on. There is a venison formula for dogs that they make, it's 38% protein. Not totally grain free because there is some millet, but here is the link to the ingredients and nutritional breakdown:

nature's logic kibble

And they also sell raw
nature's logic raw
Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
PS - I think Timberwolf has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth, after it came out that they were lying about what was actually in their foods. My parents used to feed their cat food, but they stopped selling it because their bags were on backorder. (They now feed Wellness core, if you're curious. )

Ada's doing pretty well on the Solid Gold. All of their foods are mild mild mild though, so if you're looking for a nice tasty treat... there may be more palatable foods out there.
Are you feeding Evo RM?

Before switching to raw they were on Evo RM and it was giving Brawt some tummy issues. I don't think I'll have the same problems if I'm only feeding it as a treat or occasional meal. It looks like the Evo is still probably one of the best kibble available.

I really wish I could get my hands on some Orijen to try...
Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Lord Cynical

Nope, we're feeding the original, in the yellow bag.