Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 AM
spiffy's Avatar
spiffy spiffy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 319
Default

Getting a dog is a responsibility that goes beyond providing the pet with its basic needs. Dogs are very intelligent animals but they would not know what is good for them and what is not. Unfortunately, many poisonous substances can be found in every household. Chemicals, pesticides, antifreeze, plants, human medications and foods can poison our little furry friends. A dog owner can never be careful. Dogs are very active and inquisitive and a poisonous substance that is lying around would be investigated and can be ingested by the pet.

Great post. Dog owners will find the article very informative. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Richard Page's Avatar
Richard Page Richard Page is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: London
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bright View Post
This is a great article, thanks for sharing! Just to add to this, there are a lot of human foods that dogs love to eat which are poisonous at the very least dangerous to them if they eat too much. Among which are:

- alcohol
- chocolates
- tea, coffee, anything w/ caffeine
- human medication
- avocado
- grapes and raisins

We need to be extra vigilant with our dogs as they love human food!
This^

I was horrified to find this out many years ago. I'm aware dark chocolate is especially poisonous to dogs.

I still find it amazing grapes are so bad but I think the important point here is there are a huge amount of things we eat that are extremely dangerous for dogs and we have no idea about it.

Keep anything you know is poisonous away from your dog and if you're unsure about anything, simply don't give it to them and if you suspect poisoning, get him/her to a vet yesterday.

Either way it would be a good idea for all dog owners to have a list of potentially dangerous plants, human foods as well as obvious poisons like anti freeze etc.
This^

I was horrified to find this out many years ago. I'm aware dark chocolate is especially poisonous to dogs.

I still find it amazing grapes are so bad but I think the important point here is there are a huge amount of things we eat that are extremely dangerous for dogs and we have no idea about it.

Keep anything you know is poisonous away from your dog and if you're unsure about anything, simply don't give it to them and if you suspect poisoning, get him/her to a vet yesterday.

Either way it would be a good idea for all dog owners to have a list of potentially dangerous plants, human foods as well as obvious poisons like anti freeze etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM
rogerharris rogerharris is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article (written by a vet) about what to do in the case of suspected poisoning in an animal. It's from the Dolittler blog which can be found here.

The ASCPA comment is one I didn't know. Will have to keep that in mind.
Poisoning in case of pets really gets on to nerves as we may not be able to know the real cause for initial hours until we are sure of the symptoms. Once we are it really makes one to take care and the tips you have discussed are commendable one indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 AM
NoBrainerDogTrainer NoBrainerDogTrainer is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1
Default Quote and Poison

The quote at the bottom of your forum is from Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you for reminding me to write about poisoning in our pets. I need to add some articles to my new blog.

~Jack



Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article (written by a vet) about what to do in the case of suspected poisoning in an animal. It's from the Dolittler blog which can be found here.

The ASCPA comment is one I didn't know. Will have to keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
JordanWalker JordanWalker is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Great post!
Thank you for sharing this helpful information to all pet owners out there. Now I know what to do when this situation will occur. I have put the dangerous rat poison in a safety box and also I don't give him human foods that are dangerous to my Max. I don't leave my dog at home alone since we will know what will happen.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site