Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Top Dog

Getting a dog is a responsibility that goes beyond providing the pet with its basic needs. Dogs are very intelligent animals but they would not know what is good for them and what is not. Unfortunately, many poisonous substances can be found in every household. Chemicals, pesticides, antifreeze, plants, human medications and foods can poison our little furry friends. A dog owner can never be careful. Dogs are very active and inquisitive and a poisonous substance that is lying around would be investigated and can be ingested by the pet.

Great post. Dog owners will find the article very informative. Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bright View Post
This is a great article, thanks for sharing! Just to add to this, there are a lot of human foods that dogs love to eat which are poisonous at the very least dangerous to them if they eat too much. Among which are:

- alcohol
- chocolates
- tea, coffee, anything w/ caffeine
- human medication
- avocado
- grapes and raisins

We need to be extra vigilant with our dogs as they love human food!
This^

I was horrified to find this out many years ago. I'm aware dark chocolate is especially poisonous to dogs.

I still find it amazing grapes are so bad but I think the important point here is there are a huge amount of things we eat that are extremely dangerous for dogs and we have no idea about it.

Keep anything you know is poisonous away from your dog and if you're unsure about anything, simply don't give it to them and if you suspect poisoning, get him/her to a vet yesterday.

Either way it would be a good idea for all dog owners to have a list of potentially dangerous plants, human foods as well as obvious poisons like anti freeze etc.
This^

I was horrified to find this out many years ago. I'm aware dark chocolate is especially poisonous to dogs.

I still find it amazing grapes are so bad but I think the important point here is there are a huge amount of things we eat that are extremely dangerous for dogs and we have no idea about it.

Keep anything you know is poisonous away from your dog and if you're unsure about anything, simply don't give it to them and if you suspect poisoning, get him/her to a vet yesterday.

Either way it would be a good idea for all dog owners to have a list of potentially dangerous plants, human foods as well as obvious poisons like anti freeze etc.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article (written by a vet) about what to do in the case of suspected poisoning in an animal. It's from the Dolittler blog which can be found here.

The ASCPA comment is one I didn't know. Will have to keep that in mind.
Poisoning in case of pets really gets on to nerves as we may not be able to know the real cause for initial hours until we are sure of the symptoms. Once we are it really makes one to take care and the tips you have discussed are commendable one indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Active Pup

Default Quote and Poison

The quote at the bottom of your forum is from Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you for reminding me to write about poisoning in our pets. I need to add some articles to my new blog.

~Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
I thought this was a pretty good article (written by a vet) about what to do in the case of suspected poisoning in an animal. It's from the Dolittler blog which can be found here.

The ASCPA comment is one I didn't know. Will have to keep that in mind.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Active Pup

Great post!
Thank you for sharing this helpful information to all pet owners out there. Now I know what to do when this situation will occur. I have put the dangerous rat poison in a safety box and also I don't give him human foods that are dangerous to my Max. I don't leave my dog at home alone since we will know what will happen.