Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-04-2014, 01:33 AM
Bat Ears Only

Default Texture-dependent limping?

Brisbane has been hopping on three legs for the first 3-4 steps when he wakes up in the.morning, and then he walks totally normally. This has been going on for at least a month now, and the only other time he shows signs of lameness is when walking on certain textures. He limps whenever he sets foot on my dead grass. He limps on wood chips and gravel. If the ground is smooth and flat he's fine. He had a black widow bite on the bottom of that foot six years ago and has been hesitant to walk on those surfaces ever since, but the limping is new.

We should be seeing a vet sometime in the next week, though not his regular vet because she is in China working with pandas this month. Has anyone ever dealt with lameness on certain textures before?

Ulysses: ACD/Aussie foster Ru: just like a dog only smaller Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkspore View Post
Brisbane has been hopping on three legs for the first 3-4 steps when he wakes up in the.morning, and then he walks totally normally. This has been going on for at least a month now, and the only other time he shows signs of lameness is when walking on certain textures. He limps whenever he sets foot on my dead grass. He limps on wood chips and gravel. If the ground is smooth and flat he's fine. He had a black widow bite on the bottom of that foot six years ago and has been hesitant to walk on those surfaces ever since, but the limping is new...
Arthritis, maybe? The limping on certain surfaces reminded me of when Caleb bruised his paws hiking in a river. He wouldn't even walk on dead grass the next day. I know nothing about black widow bites, but is it possible it's related to that?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 AM
such sights to show you

Maisy doesn't like walking on dead leaves (makes fall joring on woodland trails interesting). It's like she's trying to avoid the ground altogether, so it throws her gait off but I wouldn't really call it a limp.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia actively avoids certain textures but she tends to do so with flying leaps instead of limping. There is a sidewalk near my house that has raised bumps on it and she HATES walking on it.

She also walks oddly on dead grass and it almost looks like a limp. I always thought it was spiky and hurting her feet. I've noticed it now since my grass in the back yard went dormant.

And gravel is another she will walk awkwardly on. I know if I'm barefoot I walk strangely on gravel too.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I have seen Watson walk strangely on gravel, almost limping, but it was often around times when I had seen him limping for other reason. So he limped for a few days, and was sort of limping on gravel for a couple weeks after even though the primary limp was gone. When he's generally sound, I don't see the same effect. So for him, it seems like a mild lameness problem is worse on certain textures, which makes sense.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm All Ears

I should add Mia has joint issues so that could be a contributing factor. Summer does not and she is fine on all surfaces but Summer is also a lot less sensitive in general to things.