Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Show Dog

Default R our dogs too skinny?

We went to the park last night and two people commented on our puppies being too skinny. I'm sure they meant well but just b/c our dogs aren't overweight like some doesn't mean that they aren't being fed correctly. I know it's kind of hard to see from the pictures but what do you think? They commented on how they weren't "thick" in the body, which isn't how they are really supposed to be anyway is it? They are 3 months old and we feed them 1 cup of Eagle pack puppy food 3 times a day. Plus they get their "treats" and the occasional added fruits or veggies...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

They are getting plenty and I can tell you they ARE NOT too skinny. Keep in mind that the majority of the population has no clue on the appropriate weight for a puppy OR how to evaluate body condition. You should be able to EASILY feel your puppies ribs but not be able to see them. Sometimes you can see the last rib or two when they stand a certain way. You are feeding a good amount of food. A lot of people like to see obese rolly polly puppies when in fact that is not healthy especially for larger breed pups. Keep up with what you are doing and your pups will end up healthier with better bones and joints! Ignore those people at the park Read this....http://www.pvph.net/obesity_in_dogs.htm
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Show Dog

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I know we are doing the right thing but when I get second guessed I start to wonder. One gentleman even said to our puppie "come home with me and I'll fatten you up!" I know he was saying it so we would over hear him but I didn't feel like getting into it with him.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM
h2304

It is better that they are too skinny than too fat. Being fat can couse serious back problems in dogs.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Felurian

Pugs is absolutely right! Some people think ours are too 'skinny' too, until they see them move and get a look at the amount of muscle they carry. Your two look very well conditioned in their photos.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-08-2005, 11:15 AM
h2304

As long as you cant see the ribs clearly sticking out theres nothing to worrie about. But being fat is a much more serious problem.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Boris was skinny until about 6 months. I think it's normal, because they grow so fast...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani12
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I know we are doing the right thing but when I get second guessed I start to wonder. One gentleman even said to our puppie "come home with me and I'll fatten you up!" I know he was saying it so we would over hear him but I didn't feel like getting into it with him.
Oh...how did you stand it! I have a hard time doing the "smile and nodd" thing when people make rediculous comments about my dogs, or dogs in general. That guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. If you want a little more weight on them then wait until they are over a year. Give those bones and joints a chance to grow and develop without the added pressure of excess fat. Although...your dogs will always be healthier if they are kept lean. Labs are so obese now days that people can't tell what normal is for the breed. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

We had someone make a comment like that about Teddy when he was a few months old. He is part lab and people look at him and can see that he has lab in him but he just doesn't have the lab build. he is tall and lanky and long lol he is all legs and is very slender and muscular everywhere else. I agree with pugs, people just want to see a rolly polly puppy. were his dogs overweight? he probably didn't mean anything by it. The lady that told us that teddy was too skinny didn't mean he was underfed. She just happens to like her dogs big and fat and they are :| It is very unhealthy but she likes them this way and that was what she meant when she said teddy was too skinny. Perhaps that is what thie gentleman meant also. Don't get too offended. Maybe it was his bad attempt at being funny or personable lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

I think they look great! beautiful pups.