Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Felurian

Some vets know the medical parts of animal care, but never do have a good grasp of the every day parts. Like training and feeding . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Some vets know the medical parts of animal care, but never do have a good grasp of the every day parts. Like training and feeding . . .
I second that notion! The vet who owned the clinic I worked at was horrible. I hated his advice on training, feeding and not to mention how he man-handled all the patients to show how dominant he was. He was absolutley horrible. He is one of the reasons I quit and don't trust vets!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

well i shouldnt say my vet..although mine is bad too..gave his booster shots too early...it was a vet in the pet store who saw my unfriendly dog(at the tiem)and told me she just graduated to be a vet and knows some tips to help us...i thought she would know cuz shes a vet,,,, and was eager to help, and seemed to know..but thanx u guys outvote her.lucckily i hadent done it yet
Old 08-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Twin 2.0

Keep in mind that puppies are incapable of claiming dominance anyway. Their brains simply aren't wired for it yet. They can get bossy and clingy, but they can't grab and hold a dominant position until they're around a year(?), maybe 9 or 10 months. So rolling a puppy is just going to frighten and confuse it.

I think it's getting downright stupid how little we can trust a vet, or a people doctor for that matter. It's so important to know your facts so you can catch the b.s. that comes your way.

Last edited by Zoom; 08-08-2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: stupid spelling...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Playful Husky Pup

no their not gay their working out who is the dominent end of the relationship. If you have ever seen a litter of puppies there is alot of mounting going on to show who is dominent. And as adult dogs they will do the same thing kinda a reminder like "hey don't forget im better then you so don't get out of line".

ALso your other dog sniffing them is fine dogs will be dogs

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2304
I heard that if you flip the alfa dog on its back and grab it by the paws. It will lose all respect with its pack, therfore stopping this bossy behavor.
Don't grab the paws. You can either put the dog on its back or grab it by the muzzle.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
Don't grab the paws. You can either put the dog on its back or grab it by the muzzle.
so u do agree with the putting the dog on the back...see now i dont know what to do
Old 08-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Felurian

Someone like Pits with all those years of experience is different than a relatively new dog owner, Lea. Remember, she's been training dogs pretty much since she could walk. You have to be very self-assured and calm to do that sort of thing, as well as knowing the dog you're dealing with very, very well

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Playful Husky Pup

exactly Renee

Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if anyone said this (somebody probably has) but it's too show who's the "man", a show of dominance. My pup tried to do that to me, I couldn't help laughing, lol. A lot of animals have unique ways to show dominance