Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
TIGER.. Tiger.. tiger :)

Default Dew Claw Questions/Removal - New Born Shelties Questions

Hey there Chazhound!
It's almost Christmas and guess what my dog, Bobo has blessed me with!
Tiger and Bobo's FIRST LITTER OF PUPPIES!!! (Yayy, does 3 puppies count for a litter? Haha )

Background info: Tiger and Bobo are both pure breed Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). We are not breeding our dogs.

Well, the puppies (2boys 1girl) are going to be 2 days old tomorrow and I noticed that one of the puppies had 6 toes on both of his hind-legs; two which are duclaws I am guessing. I am planning on removing the dew claws myself for the first time and I needed some advice and help so I would not leave the puppies crippled for the rest of their lives if I remove them incorrectly

I have done research and it is highly recommended to remove the dew claws at 3-4days of age BEFORE they open their eyes. However....

I was wondering these questions:
-Does every puppy have them?
Why I ask: The two other puppies seems to have perfectly fine 4 or 5 toed paws.
-Do I remove the dew claws that corrects structure of the paw? How would I know what to remove?
Why I ask: I can kind of depict which 2 toes are the dew claws and removing these two toes allows the "paw" to show through.
-Do I have to remove something on every leg/puppy ?
Why I ask: It's only this puppies hind legs that seems to have 6 toes.
-Does every leg have dew claw(s)?
Why I ask: The puppies front paws seems to have 5 toes, but I'm unsure if you're supposed to remove the toe that is equivalent to a human being's thumb.

Are there other things I have to do for new born Shelties before they get their first set of shots at 3 weeks (I think its 3 weeks)?

Thanks in advance!!
And Happy Holidayss.
-Anna

Last edited by Kiwii; 12-18-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm on a boat..

I'll let experienced breeders chime in.
However, if your dogs had a litter, you're breeding your dogs.

I'd also not remove dews at home, you should go to a vet where they can make sure everything is done correctly and with no scarring.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Yorkie Love

I would take the puppies to a vet.... I am sure experienced breeders know how to do it but this isnt something I would want to learn by experience.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 PM
TIGER.. Tiger.. tiger :)

I'm not breeding them.
Bobo getting pregnant was a mistake, and the parents would both be spayed/neutered when the puppies are old enough.
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Do NOT remove the dewclaws yourself under any circumstances.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwii View Post
I am planning on removing the dew claws myself for the first time and I needed some advice and help so I would not leave the puppies crippled for the rest of their lives if I remove them incorrectly

Don't do them yourself. My breed always has dewclaws done and I take mine to the vet. Its good for the vet to give the mom and pups a check up on day 3 anyway, so since you will be there anyway....

Quote:
I was wondering these questions:
-Does every puppy have them?
Why I ask: The two other puppies seems to have perfectly fine 4 or 5 toed paws.
no not every puppy will. some might have hind dews on one paw on none on the other. Some may have double dews and some may have none.

Quote:
-Do I remove the dew claws that corrects structure of the paw? How would I know what to remove?
Why I ask: I can kind of depict which 2 toes are the dew claws and removing these two toes allows the "paw" to show through.
-Do I have to remove something on every leg/puppy ?
Why I ask: It's only this puppies hind legs that seems to have 6 toes.
-Does every leg have dew claw(s)?
Why I ask: The puppies front paws seems to have 5 toes, but I'm unsure if you're supposed to remove the toe that is equivalent to a human being's thumb.
I wouldn't do it yourself. If you were going to be breeding I would get the vet to show you how (if you wanted to do them on your own) and get the proper tools etc and then do you first few under the supervision of a vet.

Quote:
Are there other things I have to do for new born Shelties before they get their first set of shots at 3 weeks (I think its 3 weeks)?
Pups should NOT get shots before 6 weeks. Their immune system is not ready to do anything with the shots reliably before then. So the shots won't take.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm not breeding them.
Bobo getting pregnant was a mistake, and the parents would both be spayed/neutered when the puppies are old enough.
Thanks.
no need to wait on the male.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Top Dog

Please get the male neutered ASAP. And since you got your dog off of Puppyfind, that shows she is not from the most reputable of breeders. It would be wonderful if you could spay/neuter ALL the pups before they go to new homes so the cycle doesn't continue.

Cartman (7 year old dachshund) STILL has a declaw. He was from a byb...and they didn't remove it, and we never got it removed (But were always meaning too!). It hasn't caused him any trouble, but there still is a chance it could be ripped off somehow.

NEVER remove them yourself!! Have a vet do it!

Quote:
Where did you hear 3 weeks?

I am personally wondering why someone who obviously has no idea what shes doing, is doing with a litter of puppies.

Please get correct information from your vet!!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Top Dog

I dont know about removing the extra toe... but congrats to your new pups...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Use the vet for dew claw removal.

You state this is their first litter. Hopefully it is their LAST. Take the male in for castration when you go to get the dewclaws done on the puppies.

Get the female spayed when the litter is about 12-15 weeks old.