Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Twin 2.0

Tell your dad that since he agreed to leave the training up to you, to kindly follow his promise and leave the training up to you. My dad was the same way with Sawyer; he would get quite upset when he would have an accident, even though Sawyer had never been housetrained before. I pretty much had to get Sawyer housebroken as quick as possible, because there was an implied threat that after a certain amount of time passed, and there were still wet spots in the house, then I was going to have to give Sawyer back. This happened even when my dad was roughhousing with Sawyer and Sawyer would puppy dribble because my dad was being intimidating. I can get away with being a bit more aggressive with my dad than you probably can, Richie, but you do need to speak up. Or, if you want to be sneaky, remind your dad that it was your mom that went out and got you a puppy without telling you in the first place, so blame it on her.

Tell your dad, like I did mine, that it's completely unreasonable to expect perfect obedience from day one. The dogs needs time to adjust and be prepared that whatever progress you made in housebreaking may be undone by the move.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Richie...this really sucks for you. I can tell you are a responsible kid and want the best for your dog. What is sad, is that you had a gut feeling before you even got Cooper that your Dad may mistreat him. I hope the potty training goes well from here on out and remember to keep Cooper's best interest at heart. There is no excuse that makes it okay to beat a dog.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:36 PM

I would be so tempted to ask my dad (if he said that) "Do you mind if I film you beating this puppy?" If you wont let me film it, why? "Because its shameful?" Then why do it? If nothing else it would put him in the same situation the dog is in caged, scared and new to the enviroment(animal cruelty laws are rough). I am not suggesting that you say this, it may result in your own beating. Im just saying that if a clip of that was played at the next family reunion he would have every reason to feel the way Im sure that he would feel.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Puppy Dog

that is really messed up you might want to talk about what can happen in the future if he keeps on threating your dog like that i am sorry i can't help you any further
Old 08-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Jerk.

Anytime somebody told me I should beat Blue for having an accident, I asked them if they would beat a toddler for not making it to the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
mostly ignored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
Anytime somebody told me I should beat Blue for having an accident, I asked them if they would beat a toddler for not making it to the toilet.
oh but believe me when I say there are people who would and gladly In fact that is what makes them "tough, well behaved young adults" according to one douch bag I know. grr. poor pup. Good luck with coop. Make sure he's with you all the time and take him out every 1/2 hr if you can . he'll get the idea. Poor little guy.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

does he like dogs?its weird hes ready to give up 1000$ to buy cooper, but then acts like he hates him, and is gonna beat him.
maybe if u talk to ur mom about it aswell she could talk to him for you, he may have more respect for her talking back to him then u....goood luck
by the way coop's adorable doggy, good luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorry Richie that you have this stress on you. Do like the others said and watch the dog always, tie him to you if you must and take him out very often. He'll learn faster that way anyhow....if he doesn't have accidents. When he's free in the house, could you put something across the doorways so he has to stay in the kitchen and not in the carpeted rooms? If you have him in your bedroom, can you use a crate for his sleeping time? I think it will work out, but if your Dad is abusive to the dog, you know what you'll have to do and it won't be easy. Hopefully, you can have a "man to man" talk and hopefully he'll try to be understanding. I wish you all the best. Let us know.