Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Default Scared

Well, we're moving to our new house in the 10th of August, and my dad is complaining about me and my dog. The usual, "Cooper is a freakin **** machine." "You better train that dog quick". Well, I'm just shutting my mouth, not talking and then he said "If that dog pisses on the carpet (there's carpet everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms) I'm gonna start beating that dog. And I don't care what your dog books say" ...yep, I'm screwed...
Old 08-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Hero not Akiro anymore!

Awwww gosh that's so harsh!It's normal for it to go wee-wee well how long have you been having Cooper?Maybe you can try talking with your dad or yeah train him quick.People are cruel these days >.>

this is my puppy Hero!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Island dweller

That IS bad news Richie. What do you think is the best thing for Cooper? Anyway to talk to your dad?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Richie ,,, this is really going to be hard on you. Cooper is going to pick up on your feelings and if normal will want to mark his new home. Try the leash attached to you trick the first few days, until you both are more comfortable. Can Cooper sleep in your room ?? When do you go back to school ?? Sorry to admit, but my husband sounded like your Dad.... didn't know pups and there were many an accidents he never knew about !! I'm not talking about lying... just a case of what you don't know doesn't matter ! Be respectful ... if you blow off, it will be taken out on Cooper. Please let us know how things are going. If you're this concerned 10 days before the move, I know you are really concerned. Ask your Dad about the house rules and Cooper's boundries Good luck !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

keep him on a leash..take him out every 30 minutes or less...it will work if you make it work. This is a good time to get the house breaking done and over with. You will have to be diligent. keep your eye on him ALL the time and in a few days he will be with complete understanding of what you are asking from him. Don't give your dad a reason to do this. I wrote before that when i visited my dad he had a new home with carpet all thru..i had no idea before i came down and i wasn't much older then you. I kept my 8 week old puppy with me 24/7..never took my eye off of him and we had it over with in 3 days. Set a timer if you have to. If you take him out that often he won't have the urine built up to go on the floor.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 08-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Are you dead yet?

Wow, that sucks.

I had my puppy trained to go outside within two weeks, but he wasn't able to control himself until he was about 9 months old and he STILL isn't 100% reliable. Cooper is GOING to have accidents unless you are with him constantly, and since you'll have to go to school, that won't be possible. I really don't know what to say, but if it comes to the point where the dog is being abused because he's peeing on the carpet, it might be best to rehome him. JMO.

I really hope you guys can work this out. Talk to your dad, figure out some boundaries to set for Cooper. See if he will work with you on trying to train your dog.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

My dad is already rough on Cooper, litterally talking so aggresive he's spittin in Coop's face when he goes to my room. Then he calls Coop and asks why he doesn't come to him . Yeah I don't think I'm gonna be in my room ever, cus Cooper is not allowed in my room until he is potty trained... 3 more days...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Top Dog

The Monks tethered their dogs to their beds.... maybe that's the route to go. Would your Dad read the book ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
The Monks tethered their dogs to their beds.... maybe that's the route to go. Would your Dad read the book ??
no... he said he would listen to me, since I have read dog books. But I guess he was just making that up...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Big German Shepherd

Yeah... my dad was kind of the same way... but after talking he stopped-- he's very reasonable that way-- a nice LONG sit down will do it. In fact, me and him feuded (word?) all day today until we came to a very nice conclusion.

Richie, I dunno but... uh... you should tell him it takes about 6 months for any normal dog to be house trained and that he needs to be patient and hitting him will not do anything except make HIS anger go away and most likely make Cooper attack somebody as he gets older and more aggressive.

Ask if he'd like a law suit on his hands in the future.