Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 PM
LABRADERP!

Default Purnia dog food and Labs?

Just something funny I've noticed on A LOT of my Lab forums, it seems the food of choice for a lot of Lab owner and breeders is Purnia Pro Plan or Purnia One?

I found it interesting that most of the member's dogs didn't do well on other brands but when placed back on a Purnia food their dog's issues disappeared. Seems funny to me and most of these dogs aren't even related.

Me personally I feed Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice, but he came to me eating Purnia Puppy Chow and he did well on it, but I swapped him because well I wanted a better food. But I'm wondering if it would be worth experimenting with Purnia One and Pro Plan to see if I see any differences.

I've also noticed a lot of gun dog owners feed Pro Plan as well.

Does anyone else find this as fascinating as I do?
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Got Floof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
Just something funny I've noticed on A LOT of my Lab forums, it seems the food of choice for a lot of Lab owner and breeders is Purnia Pro Plan or Purnia One?

I found it interesting that most of the member's dogs didn't do well on other brands but when placed back on a Purnia food their dog's issues disappeared. Seems funny to me and most of these dogs aren't even related.

Me personally I feed Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice, but he came to me eating Purnia Puppy Chow and he did well on it, but I swapped him because well I wanted a better food. But I'm wondering if it would be worth experimenting with Purnia One and Pro Plan to see if I see any differences.

I've also noticed a lot of gun dog owners feed Pro Plan as well.

Does anyone else find this as fascinating as I do?
Most dogs would do fine on Purina. It's like eating McDonald's every day. As long as you eat no more than your caloric needs per day, you'll be more or less okay. Could it be better? Sure. It could be a heck of a lot worse too.

There's always going to be people who claim doom and gloom on stuff like Purina. Meh.

If your dog is doing well on the current food, there is no reason to change whatsoever.

People in general feed Purina because they are a big company with the best marketing. It has nothing to do with it's quality, it's just the most common brand.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Honestly, I know of a LOT of people that feed and recommend Proplan. And their dogs do very well on it. I'm less impressed with Purina's other diets, but also think there is a lot worse out there.

Cynder is currently eating a grain free Proplan canned food and is doing very well on it. It's one of the few foods I tried that doesn't make her nauseous and she's able to keep down.

I'm going to be switching Abrams from Diamond Naturals Large Breed puppy to Proplan Sensitive Stomach now that the only place I can buy food is Petsmart. (Also, I'm hoping it will help with his ridiculous gas.)

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Wild At Heart

I have noticed that a lot of Lab people seem to feed Pro Plan. And they do seem to do quite well on it... obviously not all of them, but in general most of them.

Personally I don't feed it. Harleigh was on it when I first got her, but didn't do too well. She's on Back to Basics now and does really good, so not planning on changing anytime soon.

Harleigh <3
Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

My dogs (and my cats) are eating ProPlan. They do really well on it. The veterinary nutritionists at my job recommend Purina diets over just about all other - not because of the branding and marketing, but because of the science and research that goes into the food.

Over the years, I have fed my dogs anywhere from Gravy Train to EVO and just about everything in between. Multiple dogs over multiple years all tended to to better on middle of the road food than the super premium stuff.

Plus, for me, it's more economical to purchase ProPlan right now. If I wasn't feeding that, I'd feed Diamond Naturals; they ate that for quite some time and did really well on it as well.
my delicate little flower

Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

ProPlan is what I was feeding my girl when I was forced to learn about allergies. Now I stick to grain free.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

Breeders use what works (and what is financially feasible) and honestly I've heard of dogs doing really well on Proplan Sensitive skin & stomach.
My old GSD didn't take well to the best kibbles or raw as well as she did to that brand so... we fed it.

I dunno what they are doing but Proplan seems to work really well for some dogs, especially retrievers.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
LABRADERP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Breeders use what works (and what is financially feasible) and honestly I've heard of dogs doing really well on Proplan Sensitive skin & stomach.
My old GSD didn't take well to the best kibbles or raw as well as she did to that brand so... we fed it.

I dunno what they are doing but Proplan seems to work really well for some dogs, especially retrievers.
It makes you wonder! I know a certain breeder on one of my Lab forums has fed it for YEARS and that's the only food her dogs tolerate and even puppies can't handle other foods besides Pro Plan, so it makes me wonder if it genetic too for some odd reason.
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I am actually switching back to ProPlan Sport pretty soon for Bubbles and Pen. I've tried most everything, but when Pen came to me on ProPlan it was the best I think he ever looked/best his stool was. And Bubbles had been on it all of her life until she got to me as well, so I think she would probably also do fine on it.

Kimma and Jari OTOH, are doing really well on Nature's Variety Venison Raw Boost so I'm not going to mess with that!

Loistava's Jari - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno's breeder fed some sort of Purina diet, I can't remember which. We talked about food quite a bit, and her reasoning for feeding it was that, as a breeder, it was the most economical food that all her dogs did well on. She'd try other foods and there'd always be some dog that had some sort of issue with it.

And she wasn't clueless about nutrition, we talked about raw diets and she introduced me to the dog food analysis website. I got the impression from her that feeding Purina wasn't ideal to her, but if that's what her dogs did well on then it makes sense. But I couldn't tell you WHY they all did well on it.

Honestly I think the only Purina diet I could ever even consider feeding is Pro Plan Sensitive Skin. I'd probably consider it more if it were cheaper, but even the price doesn't really look that reasonable to me.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013