Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Very Food Agressive

Oh the joys of doggie disgustingness. Currently she's on a premium holistic mix from http://www.feedyourpets.com/ which is what the rescue gave me for her. I'm slowly working on switching her to Nutro's Ultra puppy unless you have another recommendation?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 AM
and Fozzie B!

The best way to kick the habit is picking up her poops IMMEDIATELY, and teaching her a solid "leave it", for poops left behind in parks. Supervision and prevention is definitely key. Just like with anything, the more poops she is allowed to eat and enjoy, the more rewarding and natural poop-eating will be.

How old is she? I know lots of puppies who went through poop-eating phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I've been trying to convince my parents to shell out money to pay for real treatment instead of trying to just use preventative and hope it goes away. Good to know my Izzy will be safe to play with the big kids though! I'm hoping they'll teach her a thing or two about bite inhibition. Do you have to have a scrip for heartgaurd? I've been planning on getting information about it from my vet when I take Izzy for her last shots.
They give preventative to their dogs who are Heartworm positive? D:

I don't know what kind of preventative they're giving them... but some preventatives can cause serious health problems in dogs with adult heartworms. I would stop that right away. Have they looked into natural cures? Black walnut extract, for example.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

Under veterinary supervision, it is possible to cure heartworm using ivermectin, which is the active indgredient in heartgard. The ivermectin kills the filaria in the blood so the dogs worm load does not increase, and eventually the adult worms die of old age. This method works well for asymptomatic dogs--but the treatment goes on for, I think, two years. Maybe this is what they are doing.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh, it's *you*

yes in light loads to medium it's actually less harmful to the dog to use the preventive as a treament...rather than overload the system with toxin which is the traditional manner of treatment.

But in HEAVY worm loads I believe the dog can pass on before the first option even makes a dent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Very Food Agressive

Yeah, they weren't on preventative when they got tested positive and my parents are trying to do the heartworm preventative method since the vet said they had no eggs/larva in their tests which apparently is common for the area since there is so much water around the local dogs have built up some resistance. I'm sure that they're not cured yet but hopefully they'll be ok. They have no symptoms whatsoever so hopefully their local immunity helped them out in this case.

Izzy is 8 weeks old (As of yesterday) and I'm hoping she'll grow out of her poo-eating stage. She left hers alone this morning so perhaps we're making progress!

Regardless, I'll be getting my Izzy on heartgaurd asap

Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Oh just a thought..

I acutally taught Scooter to bring the poops to me once i noticed he had them... It became a positive game instead of having to correct him.

Maybe that would work on your pup?

Its gross how i taught it tho...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Very Food Agressive

Uhhh, I don't think I want to teach her that. She might spend a day at the park just retrieving poos. I'll stick with convincing her of a little doggie hygiene.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Uhhh, I don't think I want to teach her that. She might spend a day at the park just retrieving poos. I'll stick with convincing her of a little doggie hygiene.
Well no it didn't work that way, i know it sounds like it would be he never made that connection...
... when he'd be eating one i'd tell him to bring it too me and then i'd toss it.

I've seen dogs run away from their owners still knawing on the turd. haha