Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Very Food Agressive

Default Poo snacking

So I got a rescue puppy on Saturday and she's a great little girl but I'm wondering if I should worry about her trying to eat her feces each time she goes? I mean, if she does the same thing in a dog park or something where a careless owner left a load, couldn't she pick up parasites?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
So I got a rescue puppy on Saturday and she's a great little girl but I'm wondering if I should worry about her trying to eat her feces each time she goes? I mean, if she does the same thing in a dog park or something where a careless owner left a load, couldn't she pick up parasites?
If im not mistaken you can pick up parasites by just being at the dog park. ;P
Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

It's unfortunately a very common behaviour. I have a dog who does this as well, and as repulsive as it is, I've not found a way to stop her yet. I've heard it can be indicative of something lacking in a dog's diet, but that actually doesn't seem to be the case for most dogs, and I know that's not the case for mine.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, it's *you*

hmm pineapple...crushed...
rabbit pellets...whole
meat tenderizer...sprinkled
Solid Gold S.E.P. (this DOES work but is quuuite expensive and hard to find)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Very Food Agressive

Well I'm sure her current holistic dog food (Supplied by the rescue we got her from) is doing her justice in that area so I will just have to pick up her leavings before she can get to them!

Another question, my parents' dogs are HeartWorm+ and I'm spending my winter holidays with them. If Izzy consumes their feces is she at risk for heartworm? I am planning to keep her away from the dogs since I'll be in a separate house on the property. I'm not entirely sure how the parasite is passed.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
hmm pineapple...crushed...
rabbit pellets...whole
meat tenderizer...sprinkled
Solid Gold S.E.P. (this DOES work but is quuuite expensive and hard to find)
Feeding these to her? I don't imagine she'd eat her food sprinkled with tenderizer but I've heard the pineapple thing before.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

Scooter used to eat other dogs poop only if we went to the dog park. Dunno, maybe they just get in a mood....mmm....pedigree poo...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

Heartworm is passed through mosquitoes.... the mosquito bites a heartworm + dog and picks up the heartworm larvae, the bites another dog and passes the larvae to that dog. If you don't have mosquitoes this time of year, you will be fine. They are not passed through feces (they live in the heart and bloodstream, not the intestines). Hopefully your dog is also on heartworm preventative if you do have mosquitoes this time of year.... Preventative is inexpensive and harmless compared to actually getting heartworm and is well worth it! I also hope your parents' dogs are being treated for heartworm, as it certainly can be deadly.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Very Food Agressive

I've been trying to convince my parents to shell out money to pay for real treatment instead of trying to just use preventative and hope it goes away. Good to know my Izzy will be safe to play with the big kids though! I'm hoping they'll teach her a thing or two about bite inhibition. Do you have to have a scrip for heartgaurd? I've been planning on getting information about it from my vet when I take Izzy for her last shots.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Lab Love

Poop eating can be a sign of a nutritional deficiency. However, at the daycare I work at where we also sell holistic food brands, most of the dogs are very nutritionally balanced, and are fed very good foods, and still eat poop. Just in case, what are you feeding?

We literally have to pick up poop the second it hits the ground (and the longest poop piles sit outside are like, 2 minutes, tops. LOL) because dogs *will* eat it as it comes out as gross as it is. There are tablets available in most pet retail stores, the ones we sell would be Potty Mouth and Excel something I think, so I'm unsure about other brands. Keep in mind it will only keep her from eating her own poop, but she'll still help herself to other dogs' truffles.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever