Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Oh, that's awful. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately, dogs that bloat once, will almost always do it again. And the more it happens, the more it will continue to happen (or at least that's the pattern with all the research I've seen and the dogs I've experienced).

I personally like raised feeding bowls, but the jury is still out. And you even have some people that claim the reverse is true.....that raised bowls are the culprit or can be the culprit.

I'm not sure what your schedule is like, but I would try to break down the daily kibble intake into the most number of "meals" possible. If it means feeding your dog it's 1 cup of food broken down into 5 feedings a day, then do it.

And they do make bowls for overeager eaters. Anything that will make your dog work harder to get the food out and spend a longer time eating eat is ideal.

I wish y'all the best!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Felurian

Oh, Hon . . . . yes, the Phazyme is an excellent idea as are the probiotics! You might even consider moving to raw feeding as well.

While her tummy's at a normal state, get in the practice of laying down with your ear against her side so you can hear what her normal internal sounds are, that way you'll be able to determine more quickly when her belly's acting up.

I'd bet you've probably already done it, but there are EXCELLENT articles on bloat at www.greatdanelady.com. Well worth the time to read!

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
swimming upstream

oh poor Yoshi, and how tough it must be on you too! Sending get healthy vibes to Yoshi.