Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I have a pit bull terrier, and they are very loyal to their owners. They want to protect you. My dog has never and will never bite anyone, but she will defend her property. They are also very jealous dogs. They need to be by your side ALL the time or their just not happy. A few days ago, I was laying on the couch with Beulah and a friend of mine just walked in the door. Beulah jumped on and stood over me and barked and growled until I told her it was ok. She wasn't going to attack him or anything, she was just keeping guard. I love that she does that for me. Being a single girl living by herself, it's nice to know that your dog will protect you if the need arises.

Last edited by tl_ashmore; 12-29-2004 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 12-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Staffies are wonderful creatures. They take an experienced owner - of large dogs - which you are. They can be incredibly stubborn, typical of anything in the Terrier family. They look ferocious, but a well bred Staffordshire Terrier is not overly human aggresive, although they are excellent defenders.

Actually, the Fila does fit all of your criteria.
Welcome to the boards, nice to see another local (ish) face!

Just wanted to add that if you're doing any research that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Terrier are different breeds, the latter being the taller American version. Not anything like as common over this side of the pond. SBTs are like a big dog in a little dog's body! They are rather exuberant in general but in your situation I bet he/she would have a whale of a time!

Also...unfortunately Filas are banned here. My other half is bessotted by them and wasn't best pleased to find this out.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

www.champdogs.co.uk is a great site for finding good UK breeders for virtually any breed.

Hoofa-1yr old red boy SBT x
Cleo-7mth old fawn (turning red!) girl Bullmastiff x Bordeaux
Old 12-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chell78
Yep i reckon staffys are a great breed, you need to be careful with the breeder though, I see alot of staffys with skin allergies which cost the owners a lot of money to treat not to mention the stress which comes along with skin problems, IM not sure whether or not the breed has these problems where you are but alot of them do here in oz (its hereditary) so make sure you check out the parents and check about whether they have any problems before commiting. Good luck!!!
It's true they can be prone to skin complaints, BUT I've known my boy's parents since they were 8 weeks old and they've never shown a sign of it, whereas Hoofa has super sensitive skin that gets rubbed by everything.

Hoofa-1yr old red boy SBT x
Cleo-7mth old fawn (turning red!) girl Bullmastiff x Bordeaux