Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Lovely! I wish my guys could wear big thick collars!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
That is beautiful! I'm so impressed with the skills of so many Chazzers.

Can I ask where you look for 'doohickeys' like the heart? I have a wonderful guy who does all the leather work for my horse stuff, and I'm thinking maybe I could get him to make a collar or two if I provided some of the stuff.
Right now I am getting my stuff from Tandy Leather Factory right up the street. They sell online too I believe. >^^;<

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Can someone tell me what equipment I'd need to make my own leather collars at home? Those are pretty awesome, and I'd love to be able to make my own, because right now I spend a dang fortune on fancy collars for the dogs. It must be cheaper to make your own! LOL
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Can someone tell me what equipment I'd need to make my own leather collars at home? Those are pretty awesome, and I'd love to be able to make my own, because right now I spend a dang fortune on fancy collars for the dogs. It must be cheaper to make your own! LOL
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

They sell basic kits with all the tools you'll need like one of these: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/p...s.asp?dept=354

Also most Tandy Leather stores have in-store classes and instruction so you can go there, use their tools, and they'll teach you how to do it. If you don't have a store local to you and supplies will have to be shipped anyhow, call Chris Howard up at the Grand Rapids store drop my name, and he might give you a decent discount. The company has started tightening up but it's worth a shot (and Chris is awesome... which is why we've followed him across the country): 1-800-632-9620

You can also hit up a local saddle shop and see if you can get instruction from them and/or use their tools. You can get the doohickies ("conchos") from TLF online and then they'll be able to put them on. In fact, have the saddle shop see if they can order them since conchos are saddle decorations to begin with. They may get a discount so you'll end up spending less in the end.

It is a little bit of an initial investment unless you can swing borrowing tools. We have an open studio and invite folks in to come learn leathercraft. We have an internship program as well as a barter program so you can work in exchange for goods. It works out well all around! So, yeah, if you're in the area and want to learn how to work with leather, we're always teaching!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I WISH I was in your area! I would be bugging you every DAY. LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, which kit would be the best to start out with? They have several, but I don't want to purchase more than I need to start off with.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I WISH I was in your area! I would be bugging you every DAY. LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, which kit would be the best to start out with? They have several, but I don't want to purchase more than I need to start off with.
Besides the materials and decorative stamps of you choice, here's a fairly complete tool list (you'll already have some around your house):

Ruler
Strap cutter (only if you're cutting from the hide)
Mallet (pressed rawhide or synthetic, not rubber)
Tack hammer
*Leather Scissors
Small scissors
Needle nose vice grips
*Skiver
Exact-o knife
*Hole punch
Scratch awl
Screwdriver
*Rivet setter

I put an *asterisk* next to the things you'll probably have to break down and buy but are well worth the money. Also, there are economical choices for each. Most of the rest of those things you can find substitutes for in the house or in the hardware store. Just get the most basic kit. That should have everything in it.

You'll also want a self healing cutting mat and a block of marble. Too bad marble is so heavy because our studio is actually in a marble yard and we have tons of scrap at our disposal (most of it is pretty weak, though).

There are also tutorials online. I mean, really, leatherwork is an old tradition, so there is a lot of educational resources out there. i think most of us that do it don't want to see it die, so there's a lot of information sharing that goes on. I learned lots of my tricks from old-timers some of whom are dead now, so it's a duty to pass it on. Find any leather crafter in your area and I'm sure they'll walk you through it.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm going to be going to a Tandy shop about 45 minutes away from me, and the lady I spoke to on the phone sounded very nice and helpful. I asked her about the dog collars and she said taking a belt making class sounded like it would be the best. They should have all that stuff in store right?

(Sorry for jacking your thread Cheetah! Didn't mean too, but your collar is awesome and I want to try my hand at making some!)
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

That's it - my next dog is going to have to be bigger. There are several designs of conchos that I love, but they would all be far too big on Meg.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

STunning!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

It isx beautiful. I love collars with conchos.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused