Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 PM
LoveMyBully

Default Good tear stain remover? Oral or topical?

Has anyone found a good, gentle tear stain remover for white coats? What about the oral supplements that are puported to remove tear stains?

I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have, our bully has a pretty dark tear stain down his right eye and in his wrinkle. It makes it hard to evaluate the skin beneath, and he has a tiny sore I'm trying to monitor.

TIA!
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Lord Cynical

There's a product called Angel Eyes - VERY expensive, but if used correctly it really does work.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Walks into Mordor

Forget the creams and sprays you find at the pet store. They never work, so just save your money. I agree with Sizzle--if you want to get rid of staining, go with the Angel Eyes. It's the only one I've seen that truly works. But it is very expensive.

You could also go with very small doses of antibiotics. Staining is caused by bacteria in the tears, so antibiotics prevents it. That also works well, but be careful. You have to do a lot of research online to find out how much and what kind works best.

To get rid of existing stains on a white dog, you can use a bleaching topical. Mix equal amounts of Milk of Magnesia and peroxide, then mix in enough corn starch to make a thick paste. Work it into the stained area (be very careful not to get any in the eye!), and leave it overnight. Wash it out the next day. It may take several days before all the staining is gone. This method works great. The downside is that it dries the heck out of the hair. You need to condition very heavily afterward.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Active Pup

First time posting. Any truth to the apple cider vinegar story - http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Ten-Goo...-Vinegar.30311 -
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

When I got Ben he had horrible tear stains. I used a topical spray that had Khakibos in it. Not sure if you get that in the States. But what I found to work the best was changing his diet. Better food stopped the staining altogether.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
LoveMyBully

I wondered about AngelsEyes and whether it works or not. We just had a vet visit the other day and we started on eye drops to see if that helps. He's got a touch of conjunctivitis in both eyes, and the drops have helped tearing so far.

I'm looking into switching his food as well, and seeing if that helps.

Thanks for the replies!
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Puppy Dog

My dog has tear stains also. His breeder uses a product called Diamond Eye, she shows her dogs and they are buff. His groomer also shows cockers and she add a little dry buttermilk to the food, and the vet said to give 1/4 either Tums or Rolaids, can't remember which every 2-3 days. The idea behind these treatments is to change the PH in thier body. Bacteria is an issue but I won't go with antibiotics unless they are ill.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Lord Cynical

I've heard seen cocker people give their dogs Tums. Not sure how well it works, but if the handlers are doing it, it must work a little bit!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Actually I don't know anyone who uses the Tums, it was what a vet told me do but I haven't tryed it. I did try the buttermilk powder but it didn't help. My breeder and her handlers use the Diamond Eye for shows. I just keep it clean and let her worry about it when he's showing
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Who woulda thought <3

http://www.entirelypets.com/angelseyes30.html

Cheapest place I have seen the Angel Eyes....