Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Sizzle, I am so sorry.

I'm glad you caught it early and will keep you and Ilsa in my thoughts. ((HUGS))

Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Sure.

First, I noticed that she wasn't yawning "all the way". She'd open her mouth about 75% of the way, then she'd kind of "chatter" her jaws and stop yawning. I figured she was just not in the mood to have a nice, long yawn.
hmmm

A few days later, she stole a piece of pizza. She wouldn't drop it, so I pried her jaws open. She let out a yelp, then ran and hid. I felt bad, I thought I'd pinched her lip on a tooth or something. But curiosity got the best of me, so I tried to open her mouth - basic dental exam, I do it every week or two to all the dogs. She screamed and jumped into my fiance's lap, and just trembled for about 10 minutes... BIG TIME pain.
wow- so much jaw pain?

It was :after hours", so I emailed the lady that owns Ronin's sister - an amazing veterinarian in Wisconsin. She emailed me back with a whole slew of possible problems... and MMM was at the top of her list.
why was it top of her list verses a retained tooth or dental problems?

When I took Ilsa to my local vet, he confirmed my friend's "e-diagnosis".

Her symptoms (other than the obvious trismus) include a "sunken" appearance to her face and jaw - where the muscles were being broken down. Her lymph nodes were swollen, and her eyes looked a bit bulgy.
wow... Was it obvious in apperance o you?

Tests for it include blood tests - including the 2M Antibody blood test, but sometimes a muscle biopsy is needed.
which one- do you remember?

It can develop at any age, and is most common in GSDs, dobes, goldens, labs and cavalier king charles spaniels.

If not caught in time, the trismus can progress so far that the jaw can't open at all, or open very little - the longer the muscle is attacked, the more scar tissue is formed. Liquid diets are then needed.
My reply of questions are in red..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Lord Cynical

My answers in blue.

Quote:

A few days later, she stole a piece of pizza. She wouldn't drop it, so I pried her jaws open. She let out a yelp, then ran and hid. I felt bad, I thought I'd pinched her lip on a tooth or something. But curiosity got the best of me, so I tried to open her mouth - basic dental exam, I do it every week or two to all the dogs. She screamed and jumped into my fiance's lap, and just trembled for about 10 minutes... BIG TIME pain.
wow- so much jaw pain?
yes.

It was :after hours", so I emailed the lady that owns Ronin's sister - an amazing veterinarian in Wisconsin. She emailed me back with a whole slew of possible problems... and MMM was at the top of her list.
why was it top of her list verses a retained tooth or dental problems?
Yes. "Top of the list" literally means "top of the list."

When I took Ilsa to my local vet, he confirmed my friend's "e-diagnosis".

Her symptoms (other than the obvious trismus) include a "sunken" appearance to her face and jaw - where the muscles were being broken down. Her lymph nodes were swollen, and her eyes looked a bit bulgy.
wow... Was it obvious in apperance o you?
sort of - now that it was pointed out to me by a professional, yes. But I wouldn't expect anyone else to see it.

Tests for it include blood tests - including the 2M Antibody blood test, but sometimes a muscle biopsy is needed.
which one- do you remember?
yes - a general blood test, and a 2M Antibody blood test.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-06-2008, 06:52 PM
swimming upstream

sizzle--I hope that the meds. help Ilsa out--glad you caught it before it progressed too far.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

She'll get better Sizzle, just be glad you caught it early.

I'll send the "bully stick" vibe your way, LOL.

Get well soon!

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Your Mom

I don't know Ilsa's history, but do you have any contact with people who own siblings or her parents? It would be interesting to see if any have developed this also.

I'm so sorry I'm crossing my fingers that the pred will work wonders and the bullysticks will work jaw muscles. WORK THAT MOUTH ILSA!!!

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
I don't know Ilsa's history, but do you have any contact with people who own siblings or her parents? It would be interesting to see if any have developed this also.
Yep - I've known her parents for years, grandparents, and a few great-grandparents. To my knowledge, this is the first case of it in her immediate pedigree. We're going to do more research, but right now it looks like hers is an isolated case... which many cases of MMM are, apparently.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Your Mom

Yeah it's a very weird disease. Interesting.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Love my pets

I'm sorry to hear this. Hugs & kisses to Ilsa.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 AM
RedyreRottweilers

SD, I am so sorry to hear about Ilsa. Sending superb chew chew chew vibes. Maybe knuckle bones would be good too? I know my dogs chew more intently and longer on those than anything else.

I am so glad you got great veterinary advice, and hope you can get her off the pred as soon as possible.

Get well soon Ilsa!!!