Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Lord Cynical

Unhappy Masticatory Myositis

Well, it's official - Ilsa has acute masticatory muscle myositis (MMM).

In laymen's terms, it's an inflammatory disease that affects the "chewing" muscles. These muscles are special in that they are the only muscles in the body that has 2M muscle fibers. Basically, MMM is caused by the dog's immune system attacking these specific muscle fibers. Sadly, no one really knows why the immune system does this, nor is it known if it's hereditary.

She's on prednisone now. She'll be on it for as little as 4-6 months... or she might have to be on prednisone for life. We think we caught it soon enough though, so hopefully she won't need to be on it lifelong.

We've also been instructed to get her toys and chewies to encourage use of her jaw muscles as a form of physical therapy. So, the lucky girl is getting an early Christmas present of bully sticks and other yummies today!

Poor girl, she can't seem to catch a break. I'm just hoping she doesn't have to be on pred for life.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

Oh no!

((((((((((((hugs Sizz and Ilsa)))))))))))))))
I'm so sorry...I hope she doesn't have to be on it for life.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:43 PM
<--------Orson

Oh no! But like you said, at least you caught it early and she gets to have yummies!

*imagines Ronin saying WTF?* hahahaha
Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Poor gal !!! Chew, chew and chew !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Couch Pototoe City

wow... Thank Goodness it was caught early. {{{ hugs}}}} and prayers.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
*imagines Ronin saying WTF?* hahahaha
Very true! Ronin is an Energizer Bunny, he just keeps going and going and going. I recently talked to the people that have his sire, Hunter. Hunter is 9, and he's still got just as much spunk and energy as he did when he was 18 months old. He's never been sick a day in his life, he runs circles around his younger housemates. He's not showing any signs of getting old... I can only hope Ronin follows in his father's footsteps. Here's a photo of Hunter at age 8, chasing Ilsa around:

Another:

*sigh* If only all dobermans lived as long and as "intensely" as 'lil Hunter. It's no fun watching Ilsa slow down.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Could you please go into more detail the signs and symptoms of this condition is? What you noticed, how you noticed, how long it took the vet to diagnosis etc..?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Very true! Ronin is an Energizer Bunny, he just keeps going and going and going. I recently talked to the people that have his sire, Hunter. Hunter is 9, and he's still got just as much spunk and energy as he did when he was 18 months old. He's never been sick a day in his life, he runs circles around his younger housemates. He's not showing any signs of getting old... I can only hope Ronin follows in his father's footsteps. Here's a photo of Hunter at age 8, chasing Ilsa around:

Another:

*sigh* If only all dobermans lived as long and as "intensely" as 'lil Hunter. It's no fun watching Ilsa slow down.
Oh Hunter is AMAZINGLY handsome!

It is really disheartening to see all the health problems and lack of longevity in this breed..........well bred and tossed together alike
Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Lord Cynical

Sure.

First, I noticed that she wasn't yawning "all the way". She'd open her mouth about 75% of the way, then she'd kind of "chatter" her jaws and stop yawning. I figured she was just not in the mood to have a nice, long yawn.

A few days later, she stole a piece of pizza. She wouldn't drop it, so I pried her jaws open. She let out a yelp, then ran and hid. I felt bad, I thought I'd pinched her lip on a tooth or something. But curiosity got the best of me, so I tried to open her mouth - basic dental exam, I do it every week or two to all the dogs. She screamed and jumped into my fiance's lap, and just trembled for about 10 minutes... BIG TIME pain.

It was :after hours", so I emailed the lady that owns Ronin's sister - an amazing veterinarian in Wisconsin. She emailed me back with a whole slew of possible problems... and MMM was at the top of her list.

When I took Ilsa to my local vet, he confirmed my friend's "e-diagnosis".

Her symptoms (other than the obvious trismus) include a "sunken" appearance to her face and jaw - where the muscles were being broken down. Her lymph nodes were swollen, and her eyes looked a bit bulgy.

Tests for it include blood tests - including the 2M Antibody blood test, but sometimes a muscle biopsy is needed.

It can develop at any age, and is most common in GSDs, dobes, goldens, labs and cavalier king charles spaniels.

If not caught in time, the trismus can progress so far that the jaw can't open at all, or open very little - the longer the muscle is attacked, the more scar tissue is formed. Liquid diets are then needed.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Kotah BEAR

Aww Sizzle...
I am so sorry you and Ilsa are going through this.

(((((HUGS))))) I hope she gets better or shows improvement soon.