Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

Default Ringworm

Does anyone know if ringworm can cause itching in dogs? The dermatologist said it's highly unlikely and rare, but my dog has been suffering from a "mystery" skin illness that causes constant itching and fur loss, mainly in the face area, that no one can figure out. And I think this may be it.

My cat's fungal culture came back positive for ringworm. My dog started itching about two months after I brought the cat home, a year and a half ago.

What is the most common way to treat for ringworm in dogs? Just so I can be well-prepared for the vet appointment this afternoon. It seems different vets have different ways of treating this condition and my dog has potential liver dysfunction.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

When my dog had ringworm he wasn't noticeably itchy, but I would think it could cause itching.

He was treated with topical anti-fungal stuff -- bought at the drug store, usually used for athlete's foot. The stuff my vet first said to use didn't work. I switched to tinactin spray and almost immediately the ringworm started to clear up and the hair started to grow back.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

I've used generic anti-fungal cream with success in the past on localized areas. Just whip out your favorite athlete's foot, jock-itch, or yeast infection cream and apply it to the affected area.

My dog also got ringworm a couple months after I brought my cat home. And then my friend got it. I paid $250 at the vet to find out I could treat it at home, so my dog got the prescription cream and my friend got my Vagisil... both healed just as quickly.

If it's more systemic, though, you may have to take more drastic measures. I heard some solution that involved bleach or peroxide but don't act based on my heresay, do some research.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for your replies.

Well, since her itching has been going on for over a year now with fur loss in different areas over time, if it IS ringworm, I would think that it's a pretty severe/tough case of it.

I just called the dermatologist - he will prescribe some of that anti-fungal cream for me to apply to her body. However, most of the itching and fur loss is on her face. And I can't use this stuff on her face. Agh. I wouldn't be satisfied with just the cream, knowing that ringworm could be the root of all these skin issues, yet at the same time, I've read that the oral meds have some pretty nasty side effects, liver damage included...and she already has liver issues.

Did you guys only treat the areas topically that had the fur loss or did you apply the cream to the whole body?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

doesn't ringworm show up under a blacklight?

I could have sworn i had seen som'one checking a cat that way once.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Yes, it does. Get a black light and check for yourself. I'd hate to treat for something and be treating for the wrong thing.

Also, ringworm actually shows up in rings. When we brought the cat home he had and Bella got a serious dose of it as well. She had rings all over her face and body, it was not localized. I would be checking for mange and yeast, I'm not an expert, but I think you would definitely know for sure if it was ringworm.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29 View Post
I wouldn't be satisfied with just the cream, knowing that ringworm could be the root of all these skin issues, yet at the same time, I've read that the oral meds have some pretty nasty side effects, liver damage included...and she already has liver issues.

Did you guys only treat the areas topically that had the fur loss or did you apply the cream to the whole body?
I just treated the areas where he had fur loss. Supposedly if you don't do anything, ringworm in dogs will clear up on it's own in 2-4 months.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

OMG!!!!! I just logged on here to get some help for ringworm. What a nightmare it is. Gunner has it and I have been treating it since October. I thought for sure it would only take a month to clear up but little did I know. He went to the vet in September and had it cultured and the vet prescribed Ketochlor shampoo and over the counter lotrimin and monistat. The ketochlor did not help so when he was done with the bottle I started using Malaseb shampoo and that seemed to help. I also clean it with rubbing alcohol and apple cider vinegar because I read that it helps. Well yesterday I found a new bump and more hairloss so it has spread. We are bringing him back to the vet but if anyone has any ideas please let me know I am at my wits end with this. I do not want to put him on the pills either due to the side effects.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

I have treated countless horses for it and I have had it twice myself.

The fastest way it cleared up on me, I was told to have a smoke and keep the ash, spit in it and apply to the ringworm. Gross, but it worked and cleared up with in a couple of days..........go figure. But never had a chance to try that 'treatment' on animals.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

When my son was wrestling ringworm was always a concern. It's really the same thing as athlete's foot, and the high end athlete's foot cremes work well.