Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Active Pup

Question Weight Loss in Senior Dog

My dog is a 12-year-old purebred border collie.

In the past year or two she has started to thin out. In fact, you can feel her spine. My dad changed her food a couple of months ago and she filled out a little bit again, but the food is crap. I have been doing a lot of research on pet food lately and i'm going to try and talk to him about changing her to a more healthy diet.

What would cause a dog to shed weight like that? She's been healthy for most of her life so i'm not sure what would cause it to happen. The dog is my dad's responsibility so I don't deal with the vet bills for her, but I'd like to know what's wrong.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Felurian

You're probably absolutely right about it being the food. As dogs age, we see the consequences of the food they've eaten during their lives, whether good or horrible. Get your Dad to read some of the threads about dog food and some of the articles at www.greatdanelady.com .

And you're also right about needing a trip to the vet to screen out anything physiologically wrong. Just remember that most vets know zip about nutrition and just encourage their clients to buy the Eukanuba and Science Diet garbage that is very profitable for them to sell in their offices.