Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Show Dog

Default 5 Types of Breeders

Different Types of German Shepherd Puppy Breeders

The Good:
Reputatory Hobby Breeder
Reputatory Experienced Breeder

The Bad:
Puppy Mill
Commercial Breeder
Backyard Breeder

So is this accurate in describing and naming the types and levels of breeders?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

puppy mills are by definition commercial.
i don't know of any breeders that have a special rumpous room for breeding so it maotly takes place in backyards.
really it is hard to catergorize things so cut & dry.
most working breeders are also commercial in nature. they breed a little to alot more than hobby show breeders. many also offer dogs at different life stages to fit the customer young pups to older pups to young started adults to fully trained adults.
and yet in breeds that are split between working lines & show lines, the working lines are generally healthier.
even among breeders w/ the right intentions there are different levels of knowledge & experience and so differences in the quality they produce.
it would probably be better to catergorize breeders as good & junk.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Not entirely accurate. You can't really define breeders with labels. Each person who breeds is different. There are good breeders, not so good breeders bad breeders, but you can only define them as such to a point.

There are some basic things that do, IMO, separate a good breeder from a not so good breeder - health testing, life long support after purchasing the pup, knowledge of their breed and their lines.

Showing isn't always important. Involvement with breed clubs can be helpful for the breeder to continue their education regarding the breed, but that education can be achieved without actually being involved in a club. Sometimes breeding to the standard is undesirable. In some breeds, the standard that defines the dog for the conformation ring destroys their ability to perform their job. But if a breeder is breeding out of standard dogs, I'm certainly going to want to know why.

An independent critique of breeding stock is valuable (it's too easy for an individual to be "kennel blind" ~ to not see the faults in their own dogs), and showing can sometimes provide that, but showing also tends to be political and I've seen dogs win that shouldn't even have been there. Also showing doesn't include health checks. Besides, for example, if I'm shopping for an agility dog, a bunch of confo titles isn't going to impress me. I would want to see agility titles, so what the person shows/trials in is going to make a difference to me.

Each buyer is different in terms of their needs, so there's also a level of suitability involved in selecting a breeder. Someone looking for herding dogs for their farm might go to a rancher who breeds their working stock ~ dogs who have never seen a show and who may not be health tested, but generations worth of dogs able to continue working physically demanding tasks day in and day out into their senior years speaks something for health ~ and find exactly what they need, while someone who is interested in conformation/sport isn't necessarily going to be happy with those same dogs.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
*Now with Snark*

Sigh.... does anyone else find it funny that the GSDCA would point at anyone and call them irresponsible breeders? After all they managed to completely ruin the health vigor temperament and working capability of their own breed why not point at themselves as an example of what NOT to do.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
Sigh.... does anyone else find it funny that the GSDCA would point at anyone and call them irresponsible breeders? After all they managed to completely ruin the health vigor temperament and working capability of their own breed why not point at themselves as an example of what NOT to do.
You get a cookie for saying that
Old 08-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Active Pup

If my two dogs have pups does that make me a backyard breeder?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pups-R-cute View Post
If my two dogs have pups does that make me a backyard breeder?
If they have no health testing and no reason to be bred (i.e. just breeding for cute puppies) then yes, it does.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Active Pup

Thats bizarre, so people who want cute puppies and to some money are to be frowned upon.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I am compelled to be obnoxious here and point out that reputatory is not a word in any language that I know of.

Now everyone should throw things at me for being the English police.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pups-R-cute View Post
Thats bizarre, so people who want cute puppies and to some money are to be frowned upon.
Puppies are not products. It's not like you're making jewelry to sell on etsy. These are living breathing lives that you're responsible for. It's your job to make sure you're breeding for the betterment of the breed by proving your stock in confo, sport, work, therapy, hunting wild boar or whatever and by health/genetic testing your stock. By just throwing together two dogs because you want cute puppies and some money you're being irresponsible. When you breed properly you'll make very little money if any unless you've been in dogs a very very long time.

You're probably a troll but i feel i should reply to this anyways for the folks that are reading.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug