Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
prick ear'd dogs

That's really weird, I've been working at Petco for awhile and if someone gets the bath special (24.99 for small dogs 29.99 for large dogs) it includes a bath, conditioner, brush, ears cleaned, anals done and nails trimmed.

I'm also in training as a groomer so i'll usually go ahead and do a paw trim and a sanitary as well if the owner allows me to and wont charge anything for it.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

8:20 !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
BigDogs

Has anyone seen "Toby's new trick" on the Stanley Steemer commercial? Ruger does the same thing. That's when I know he needs a bath and his anal glands emptied, which I personally take care of.

I also clip his nails and fur, clean his eyes and ears. It's just part of having a dog.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

At my Sister's shop she will check if asked, and some breeds (springer/Cockers) will sometimes get a gentle squeeze as they can have a tendancy to have issues. No extra charge for this. As Giny mentioned no force is used as this can cause scare tissue to build up and the dog having to have them expressed manually. If the dog does not express with a very gentle squeeze the owner is advised to see a Vet. Sometimes diet can help a great deal.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Most dogs empty them when they have a bowel movement but in the case where a dog might have an issue our vet doesn't charge for this. One sign that the anals need to be emptied is the dog scooting his/her bum on the floor, grass, carpet or wherever.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

My Beagle Nutmeg has to have her anal glands expressed almost monthly sometimes more than once a month. I wish I knew what caused it.

I cannot express them myself. She sets to bawling as soon as I touch her tail. Its unnerving. But when the vet does it she doesnt care. He internally cleans them out. She is so bad that she needs antibiodics. She gets a shot from the vet then and some pills. She actually begins to smell

She doesnt do the "butt rub thing" so I have to keep an eye on her anal glands or she can get really sick. which is actually how I discovered her problem.

I wish my vet just charged me $10 for an anal clean
Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 AM

I realize that groomers are taught to express the Anal glands as a service but I really wish that it would not be done as a matter of course.

Anal glands very rarely require manual expression unless a dog has loose stools or some other chronic problem and in either case, the Vet is the best one to perform expression.

One of my dogs died after an anal gland expression gone wrong and another (Amos) ended up in Emerg. with a ruptured gland simply because I forgot to mention to his groomer NOT to touch his butt. Even though I had been very specific with her every other time I took him in.

The only groomers that I recommend now are those who will not express unless expressly requested. Someone mentioned diet being a factor in how anal glands function and that is absolutely true.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
bjdobson

Zoe had to have her anal glands removed. They would get full, impacted and infected in a matter of hours. None of my other dogs have a problem and their anal glands are never touched.

I don't think they should ever be done unless the client requests it or you have permission to do it. I, too, have heard you should leave them alone or then you HAVE to do them all the time.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
Someone mentioned diet being a factor in how anal glands function and that is absolutely true.
This is soo true.

Our first poodle had a problem with her glands all the time... she had to go to the vet to have them expressed so many times and she hate like ONE or something cheap from the grocery store.

But now with these three who all eat good food we have never once had to have them expressed.

Diet does make a huge difference.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Active Pup

i express glands in the price of the groom for most of my clients