Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Designed for Love

Default Anal glands and grooming...

For the groomers out there.... can you tell me if there if you can "check" the anal glands without actually "expressing" them? I am asking because at Petco, where I take Lily to be groomed, it says on their website, that 'checking' anal glands is INCLUDED in a "full groom".... yet they charge me $10 for expressing them.

Is there a way to "check" to see if these glands need to be emptied? If so, I would like to know myself, so 'I' can check, if it is not too difficult. And if not, I would like to know why they are charging me extra? Thanks for any replies.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
:( only one :(

Do they charge you automatically $10 or do they only express the glands if asked by owner then charge?

You can tell if the glands are full just by touching. If you're not squeamish, not many would want to do this, just lift you dogs tail feel under the dogs anus and you'll feel two little pea size lumps, it's under and a bit on the sides of the anus. If you feel them it means they are full. But most dogs can express them themselves during a bowel movement. I don't express any glands unless the owner asks and even then if it doesn't express easily I don't force it. I'll notify the owner and let them know that the dog should be brought to a vet so they can do it internally.

Plus I don't charge for it....I really don't like doing them but know to some of my clients with dogs who needs them done monthly that it's cheaper for them to come to me to get them done then go to the vets. I don't charge because I really don't like it being part of my full grooming.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Like Giny said they are located beside the anus at 8 and 10 o'clock. They will feel like lumps, some the size of peas, sometimes they are even larger.

If anal glands need to be done and the owner wants the glands done we do this as part of the groom- no additional charge. I don't think that an additional charge on top of the groom is needed. A nail trim is included in a full groom and so should the anal glands. The only time we charge for anals is when a dog comes in for an expression only.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Designed for Love

Giny... I asked the groomer if her anal glands might need to be emptied and she said she would check and if they did there would be a $10 extra charge.

Saintgirl... they are both located on the same side? 8 and 10 o'clock? that seems odd... I might try to check to make sure she is not having issues with that...

Thanks so much for the replies....

Old 11-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Top Dog

No, they are not located on the same side. One located at the 8 o'clock position and one located at the 10 position.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:32 AM
:( only one :(

This image might help to locate them. They are both underneath on each sides of the anus.
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...-main_Full.jpg
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Anal glads are included in my shop and EVERY small dog that gets in the bath tub gets them checked.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Designed for Love

Giny,
Thanks for the image of anal gland location.... I couldn't for the life of me understand what Saintgirl meant by 8 and 10 o'clock position... I think she must have meant 8 and 4 ??... since 8 and 10 are on the same side of the clock? or am I missing something here?..

Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

LOL!!! I don't know what I was thinking!! Yes, I meant 8 and 4! For some reason or another 8 and 10 was typed out and when I read your response I retyped the same! Can you tell I need some serious time off to recharge? lol!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Lord Cynical

I can usually just feel and see if they're full or not. Ilsa gets full anal gland on anything but EVO... so let's just say I'm glad I'm feeding EVO right now!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)