Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-06-2004, 11:49 AM

Forgot to say this prior, but even with an electric fence....and usually you get a video to help you......there is patient training involved for it to be successful. The 'shock' is really just a training help....won't hurt the dog, but won't keep a bold dog in either.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Felurian

LOL ~ Debi, for the big dogs, the solar fencer that you get at the farm store I'm talking about is for cattle. Trust me, you won't get a video with it.

On the other hand, it's the only way you'll have a chance at keeping a larger or bolder dog contained, unless, of course, they'll jump over. The strange thing is, though, that most of the time, once they've gotten zapped, most dogs won't jump over it. They may go under it if it's high enough, but I guess they're afraid to expose their "vitals" to that nasty biting fence.

There is, however, always the exception . . . I hope Hammie takes after his father instead of his mother!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Active Pup

we too might be considering an electric fence, can they actually hurt a dog or does it just surprise them? would it keep a manchester terrier inside the yard???
Old 09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Felurian

With a Manchester you might get by with a dog fencer. It's worth a try. I don't really like those underground fences because although they can do a good job of keeping your dog in, they do nothing to keep other dogs from coming in on your dog. That's just not fair! However, if you live in one of those neo-fascist developments that tell you that you can't have a good fence around your own yard, it's better than nothing.

I agree wholeheartedly with Robert Frost, "Good fences make good neighbors." (Mending Wall)
Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Active Pup

Is it at all cruel to tether a dog we were just thinking about getting a tether(long) for the dog
Old 09-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Felurian

I really hate to see a dog tied; there are just too many things that can happen. It's better for the dog - and you - to go for long walks once a day, and a shorter one in the morning and have some supervised play in the yard than it is to leave a dog tied in the yard.

A tethered dog is at the mercy of any idiot that wants to torment it, and a small dog, like a Manchester, can be in real danger from other animals as well as people.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Active Pup

Hi,there, Interested to read all of the above as we have a paddock adjoining our front garden where we keepour two goats. Our Yorkie ,Golly,has learned how to get under the fence,and he is also low enough to go under the electric fencing,yesterday,however,he hit the wire,let out an almighty yelp and bolted for the house, 24 hours later he is none the worse for wear,but I don't think he'll be going into the goats paddock for a while!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Felurian

Yep, that zap seems to teach them pretty quickly! It was funny - but kind of awful - when Kharma got zapped the first time. She was 10 weeks old, it was wet, and she hit that cattle fence (the super hot one) with her tail. Oh, she reacted. She turned around and bit the fence - twice! I knew right them I had a fearless dog. She's learned to duck her butt and tail and to go under the highest part of the fence since then, though!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Active Pup

How much do they usually cost???
Old 09-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Felurian

I'm not sure how much the dog chargers are, probably $30 or so. The wire's not that expensive, just figure out how much you're going to need.

If you're thinking about getting one of the underground systems with the collar my best advice is to do some looking on the net to get an idea of what you're going to need and what it's going to cost.