Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
woop

Default Lying about pottying

In our apartment, Pit is very good about telling me if he needs to go out. If he whines at the door, hurry up and run outside, this dog is going to blow. At work he lies constantly and it's starting to waste valuable time.

As soon as we walk into work, he heads to the front door and whines to go out (literally 15 minutes after going potty at home) so I ignore it until he stops. Maybe 45 minutes later he'll whine again at the door, I'll ignore it and eventually he stops. If I ignore him the whole day, he would whine on and off every 30 minutes-1 hour. If I take him out, the majority of the time he just stands there watching people, other times it's just to mark (grr) and rarely but occasionally he will be telling the truth and really REALLY has to go.

I need to figure out a way to get him to stop lying. I can imagine my boss isn't very pleased with me taking my dog out so frequently on company time. Ignoring him works after a while, but the whining in the meantime is probably distracting to others. Should I continue to ignore him and not reinforce the whining by getting him out? He's a very convincing liar; I can't distinguish between genuine and fake pleas to go outside..

Oh, I forgot to mention we have a schedule that worked fine for the first several months. He goes out when we head to work in the morning, out again at noon, and then again before we go home. From then on, he doesn't ask to go out anymore until right before bed. Should I stick firm to the schedule and ignore his whining in between potty times? Thanks for any ideas.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Maybe he is bored? He's learnt whining = outside and outside = fun?

Where do you work?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Yorkie Love

It is probably a result of boredom... does he have things to keep him active... kongs, puzzle toys, etc? Does he get a chance to get out during the day for a walk or quick play time?

The only problem I see with ignoring him is that if he really has to go and goes inside... you cant really yell at him because he asked and got ignored.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
woop

No doubt he's bored. We're there for about 9 hours a day and we only get to go out for a half hour at lunch. I take him out for running and fun after work; I was hoping if he got into that routine, he'd understand to wait patiently throughout the day. For the most part he does sleep, but when he's up he's whining at the door.

I work in an office for a construction company. He's got a dog bed under my desk and the door to outside is right in front of me.

Edit: Oops, didn't see your post PM. He has a couple toys, and he plays with them for a while, but it's never longer than a few minutes. Thanfully even when he really has to go, he has surprisingly good control of his bladder. Even if he did have an accident, I could never yell at him because it would always be my fault.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Yorkie Love

just remember mental stimulation can be tiring too.

Could you skip breakfast or give him less and put the rest in a Kong? Freeze it the night before and let him work on that for awhile during the morning time.

If you have a few minutes to sit at the desk but not work call him over and work on teaching him a new trick or just put him through puppy push ups or something.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
woop

Freezing food into a kong could work for a bit, I think. He's food obsessed, so even if he did have to go, he'd wait until all the food was gone first. I'll have to try that one tomorrow!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Active Pup

I would try getting back to your original schedule. Years ago I had a dog that just stood at the back door when he needed out and wasn't vocal at all. I put some bells on the door and in no time they were ringing incessantly!! Needless to say he Didn't need to go out that much and the bells didn't last long.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
woop

I think I will go back to the old schedule and during the times when he should hush and be good, I'll give him frozen food in kongs. Hopefully overtime he'll get it.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie did that when she was a puppy. I tried several things, but nothing worked everytime. I think she out grew it. . . lol i know that's not very helpful, but i know how you feel!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

I agree, go back to your original schedule, and also ignore the whining when you're home. You're right to never yell at a dog for having an accident in the house, and just because you taught him to let you know when he needs to go out doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be 100% and never have an accident in the house.