Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 PM
GSDGurl

No they shouldnt burst, Hot Water Bottles are made of sturdy rubber material.You know the ones that some people use for backaches.I dont mind heating pads but I always worried about the pups chewing the electrical cord on it.You should be able to find a Hot Water Bottle at your local Drug Store or Pharmacy.They shouldnt cost too much about $10 canadian not sure what that is in you funds.By the way what breed of dogs are you breeding.Thanks Lisa.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Island dweller

I found a small water bottle at wal-mart for $3. It had a doggy cover.

THougth I'd share
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

I believe it's very dangerous to do any direct heat such as a hot water bottle and ESPECIALLY a heating pad! It is really not that cold where you are. I like the idea of the light bulb, instead. Giving them indirect heat (if even necessary). You can give them a troublelight clamped onto the side of their whelping pen to shine warmth on them and the Mamma. I would not do direct heat. Too dangerous...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
GSDGurl

As long as it is warm water and not hot there shouldnt be a problem plus I said covered in towels.Plus I said meke sure that the pups can move away from the heat sorce.In England it can be quite rainy and cold and that is where this breeder is located.I have seen people use light bulbs and heat lamps but prefer the water bottle because I can control the temperature to the temperature in the room.I know in canada its not always needed but it is in the winter here.Thanks Lisa.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Island dweller

I don't like those heat bulbs. Is that the ones you mean? Those get HOT!

I like hot (warm) water bottles wrapped up. But I don't breed.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:44 PM
GSDGurl

Yes that is what I was talking about.I used to wrap them in 2 or 3 bath sheets which are bigger than bath towels worked great.Plus the little babes could move away if they got too hot.Wher in Canada are You Saje.I am in Stratford Ontario.Thanks Lisa.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Island dweller

Northwest BC. It's been really rainy here.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
GSDGurl

Its been Rainy here all day too.A bad accident happened just down our street.It seems people forget how to drive in this crap lol.Thanks Lisa.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Manchesters

Default What To Do......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
For all of you that have raised a litter, can you please tell me what you used to heat the whelping box, there are so many different options out there, i wanted to know about the experences you all have had with the different options, and their pros and cons
I used a heating pad in the "baby" crate they were in while the litter was being whelped. After that I just cranked up the heat in the place, and prepared to own the gas company. I would keep it about 80 in here. But where I am it is often in the 60's at Christmas time.

I would try to plan litters to be born in early spring so they would be ready to go outside to play just as summer was barely beginning.

My preference would be a heating pad, with the cord out of sight so the dam can't get to it and eat it. And put up something around the pen that you can hang sheets or towels from and over to protect against drafts. With the Manchesters the crib used was wood on 3 sides, and wire on the front. I would drap it with a sheet across the front, and placed a piece of sheet rock over the top. Baby play pens also work because they have soft sides and you don't need a rail. And they can be draped with sheet for draft protection.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Something warm where the babies can move away from is fine... as long as it's wrapped up in a blanket or something to that affect. You want your puppies to have ambient heat for their bods.... meaning no heat pads, etc....

Ambient means their overall body temperature in the normal air. So, you may need to regulate that air with a light bulb at times. But not with direct source heat....